WineXpert Gravity less than .990!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lhunkele

Reaction score
I started my second batch of Island Mist Blackberry Cabernet about three weeks ago. I wanted to up the alcohol a bit and added 7-cups dissolved sugar with a SG of 1.078. Today I took a gravity reading and it was below .990 - I haven't seen that before :< Overall everything looks, tastes and smells good so I don't know that there's any problem, and it sure looks like I achieved my goal as the abv should be around 11.5 ;)

Alcohol is thinner than water hence the reason for descending so low. My watermelon reached .990 and may even be a tad lower. Temperature can effect that as well. I'm sure you're fine.

Relax and have a glass of "something" alls well...

Check your Hydrometer in distilled water and see what it reads. Should be 1.000. Mine would never go below .996 so I decided to check in H20. Sure enough it was off 0.002. Remember they are also calibrated at 60 degrees and if you really really want to be accurate you can find an online ABV calculator that will let you enter the current room temp and it will make the temp adjustment for you. Bottom line its done!

Latest posts

Back