Grapes vs Must

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdelli

Reaction score
Does anyone have a way to estimate how much must you will get from 100 lbs of grapes? I realize the conversion to finish wine will probably be around 7 to 8 gallons. But what can you expect in the primary fermenter? Trying to calculate yeast and nutrients to purchase....

For estimation, I assume 10 gallons of must for 100 lbs grapes and 7 gal of wine post pressing. As was said before the condition of the grapes and the varietal influence the volumes. I add an extra 10% to my additive purchase. I just don't want to run out or not have what I need.

Last edited:
I crushed 71 pounds of Zin today and got 6 gallons of juice with a few pounds of waste left over. The grape supplier said about 2.5 gallons per lug and they were right.

I like to figure high so I know I have more for topping off later on. I figure 16-18# per gallon.

Yields sound impressive to the juice level... I have always been around 7% yield to juice... Grape to must was the confising one.... Thanks

Latest posts

Back