Grape Variety Suggestions for NW Indiana

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fortyonenorth

Junior
Reaction score
I’m new to the forum but look forward to learning from the collective experience and, in time, sharing some of my own.

I live in NW Indiana, ten miles west of the Michigan state line and just about 1/4 mile from Lake Michigan. The surrounding area is technically zone 6a, but our proximity to the water makes it comparatively warmer--probably zone 6b. Our native soil is somewhere between sand and loamy sand. Without soil-building amendments it’s “unsuitable for agriculture” (according to Purdue), but I’ve worked it into a fertile--though not too fertile--state. I follow Dr. Albrecht’s soil fertility principals and have it pretty well balanced out. There are no vineyards in the immediate area, though the Lake Michigan Shore AVA is only about 40 minutes from here and, generally, enjoys (or suffers) the same growing conditions.

I’m going to plant some wine grapes this year--probably ten reds and ten whites--and I’m looking for some feedback on just what to plant. I like my wine dry, or just off-dry in the case of whites, and appreciate complexity. After perusing the various catalogs and websites, I’ve developed a short list of varieties. My first thought was that I’d go with fully cold-hardy grapes. Then I read where some of the vineyards nearby in Michigan are growing viniferas--Cabernet Franc, Riesling, and Gruner Veltliner, among others. I certainly like the idea of being able to grow viniferas, but I worry that I’d be setting myself up for failure over the long term.

Among the cold-hard grapes that I’m considering are Marquette and Petite Pearl for reds and LaCrescent, Petite Amie, St. Pepin, and Frontenac Gris (or Blanc) for whites. Again, I only have space for about twenty vines, so I don’t think I could do more than one red and one white, though I’d appreciate comments if you think otherwise.

So, my question to the community. If you had to choose just one of each, given my particular situation, what would they be? Would you risk the viniferas, or do the newer cold-hardy types offer the same (or similar) upside without the downside risk?

Thanks in advance!

You should drive a short bit north to the commercial vineyards in Western Michigan. The wineries there would be happy to talk to you about grape varieties that are suitable for the area.

Not that you are getting bad advice from the grapeman.....you'll get nothing but good advice from him, but if you are in NW Indiana and are only 10 miles from the Michigan state line, then I would have to agree with Greg, take the short drive to the southwest Michigan wine trail. Right in that corner, you should find at least 25 wineries. I wish that I was not five hours away.

http://www.michiganwines.com/page.php?menu_id=39

Latest posts

Back