Grape Varieties For Northern VA

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CurtBoswell

Junior
Reaction score
Hello, this is my very first post here. I was thinking about starting to grow my own vines this year. What varieties would be suitable for Northern VA?

Thanks
Curt

Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Cabernet Franc, Norton. See Virginia Tech web site. You are one of the better eastern U.S. areas for noble wine grapes.

Thank you! I was trying that sight but sadly it would not load on my laptop. Another thing would I be able to keep the vines in 50 gallon pots for about 2 years at the most while i get enough money to buy some land? What type of dirt should I use?

Grow Norton and Chambourcin, great for Virginia. On the vinifera side, Cab franc and petit Verdot do fine, but seriously, norton is from your state, not another country!

I'll second Norton, Virginia is it's home, and you'll likely have less problems with them. A lot of the european vines require a lot of work to keep them healthy. So Norton might be a good vine to start with for sure. Plus it makes a good wine.

50 gallon pots! Sounds like a tad too much. I would think 5G would be big enough for a short term.

50 gallon pots! Sounds like a tad too much. I would think 5G would be big enough for a short term.

Keep in mind, the bigger the pot - the bigger the hole you get to dig.. So, while they wont grow in a quart jar.......... :)

I'm in NOVA. Looking at Chambourcin or Norton. Need to try some first though. Cabernet Franc is another possibility.

From what I've read, Double A Vineyards is a great place to buy vines.

Last edited:
You really need to try some wine made from Chambourcin before you invest time in it. You will have to have a good spray program no matter what you grow.

Chambourcin is pretty "European" tasting. Do definitely try Norton - cooper vineyards, Horton, and chrysalis vineyards probably make the best in that state. It's either a like it or hate it variety. Personally I love it.

CurtBoswell said:
Alright I'll look into Norton. Thanks!

I would buy some norton wines try them not everyone's cup of tea. Easy to grow hard to make good wine . Virginia depending where you are is good for European grapes. Much more simple to make good wine. Stay diligent with your spray routine.

ozarkhighlands has some good advice, try some nortons before you decide. I've had a bunch and overall I love them, but they are a high acid grape and can be a little harder to "tame" as far as acid goes. Chrysalis Vineyards in Virginia is supposed to be the best if you can make a trip there. I haven't had their Norton, although I'd love to!

My recommendation was based on how much trouble they are. I grow Nortons and I really don't spray much. They are resistant to most fungal infections that kill Vinifera grapes. But not all of course. They will do even better with a regular fungicide spray. With Vinifera you will have to keep a pretty regular schedule or they will suffer. With Nortons, I spray for bugs, but only spray for fungus in the spring. I may change that however, since I recently added some different vines and I prefer to keep the same schedule for all of them.

I think by regular spraying ozarkhighlands means a fungicide and possibly a pesticide. Definitely fungicide though.

Alright thanks! I will try some Norton. I am planning to get some land to start a vineyard in about 3 or 4 years.

What fungicide sprays do you recommend for Norton? Also where would be the best placeto get them?

Some good neem oil is all I think you would need. It is pretty resistant, especially I would think in northern va. Norton requires aging, and it ages well (I had a 14 year old bottle this summer and it was great). Also oak is a pretty good addition, and I would definitely do a a Malo ferment. I've heard chrysalis is great but I can personally attest to cooper's vintage as well a horton's. Horton's goal is to make a great ten dollar bottle, and it's a great deal. Check out the book, "the wild vine", its a great read about Morton's history as well as Virginia viticulture.

No problem. I do love Chambourcin also. If you Like whites I think you should try Vidal blanc or traminette up there. I used to live next to a Virginia winery so I do know what works well there. If you insist on growing vinifera (I'm a hybrid guy) try Cabernet franc, petit Verdot or Viognier. However, I'm not big on spraying all the time so I don't grow vinifera.

Latest posts

Back