WineXpert grape skin kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldwino54

Reaction score
this is my 3rd skin kit and now that I have a place to ask I will. Does stirring these skins around during primary ferm. interfere with the yeast??

Nope, you actually want to stir them around to make sure you expose all the grape skins to extract every bit of color and tannins and such from them.

Have you thought about saving whats left of the skins for another non-skin kit?. I saved/frozen my skins from my RJS WS Super Tuscan kit and will try using them in a lower end kit with the hopes that there's some good stuff left in the pack.

From what I understand, the grape skins are pretty well spent and won't give much in a second fermentation. At least that's the official line from kit manufacturers.

From what I understand, the grape skins are pretty well spent and won't give much in a second fermentation. At least that's the official line from kit manufacturers.

I'm betting on nothing less than a placebo effect. :D

I'm betting on nothing less than a placebo effect. :D

we have done blind taste tests with 2 of the same 6 week kit, one as per whats in the box and the other with used grape skins.

everyone was able to tell the difference with the grape skin added kit being the preferred wine

cheers

we have done blind taste tests with 2 of the same 6 week kit, one as per whats in the box and the other with used grape skins.

everyone was able to tell the difference with the grape skin added kit being the preferred wine

cheers

Hey, thanks for sharing your experience. Cool that you actually did a blind taste test.

Last edited:
That is great advice. I'd bet the freezing/thawing brings out anything left.

Thanks for the taste test advice. I'm thinking about saving the raisins I used as an addition. They were never cut so I have to believe that there is something left. Maybe if I cut them, I can make my own fpac. Any thoughts?

That is great advice. I'd bet the freezing/thawing brings out anything left.

Thanks for the taste test advice. I'm thinking about saving the raisins I used as an addition. They were never cut so I have to believe that there is something left. Maybe if I cut them, I can make my own fpac. Any thoughts?

Not giving to much thought but I figure grapes come pretty easily and cheaply compared to grape skin packs so I'd simply go with fresh raisins.

Latest posts

Back