WineXpert Grape skin bag not floating

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UglyJohn

Reaction score
I don't think this is a real problem, but last night when I went to stir my Wine Expert Limited Edition Shiraz/Cab one day after pitching the yeast, the grape skin bag was on the bottom of the primary fermenter. Fermentation had started, and everything looked and smelled normal. Well... almost everything was normal - when I squeezed the bag, and heavy, syrupy juice came out - almost like a thin jelly.

I have done a good few kits with grrape skins, and this is the first that has done this. Every other time, the bag was floating the next day, and when squeezed only thin juice came out.

This morning, it was bubbling away happily. I won't know if the bag is floating until this evening when I open it for its daily squeeze and stir. I'm thinking that for some reason, the bag wasn't letting the juice flow through it, and the yeast couldn't get to the skins.

Should I be concerned or just let it go?

I'm sure it will be fine. The new WE skins are quite a bit more syrupie than others. WE claim it takes several days for the sugars to actually incorporate into the must thus giving a falsely low initial SG. But that's another thread.

I would keep moving it around and squeezing it, myself. Keep in mind, though, that things are moving around quite a bit in there. I wouldn't worry about getting nothing from the grape skins.

I just started this kit and squeezed the grape bag while it sat it the must until that jelly like substance was gone. Took a while but it also raised the SG a bit. Just keep squeezing it, it should be alright.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Latest posts

Back