grape press

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winointraining

Reaction score
OK Don't laugh. Heres my press. W we made it from 2x6s. I still need to get a jack for it,Harbor Freight has a camper jack I think I'm gonna make fit.Its 2 ton so I think it will be enough.If I done it right heres a pic of the press and my help.

help with press.jpg

Looks good to me!
I made a similar one last year and it worked great.
Where is your press basket?

No, no pressure treated just plane old pine or what ever it is. painted with marine grade spar varnish which I don't think will come off too easy, had to use acetone to get it off our hands.

That's OK , hey we gotta take care of each other. No its just plane wood. Theres a lot of green around there may have gotten some reflection.

My only question is what is it going to drain into, will you set this on a table or something to raise it off the ground???

Thanks.I using a plastic bucket. the thing is a little klunky , but I can press anything.

I'm in the middle of making a nice basket fro mine out of oak.
Here is mine, quite similar! I used wax to seal the grooves where wood meets and everything is coated in EZ-DO.

press2.jpg

My only question is what is it going to drain into, will you set this on a table or something to raise it off the ground???

Rob I see what you're saying. There is no way to put a pan or low pail under it with the 2x4 sticking out all the way to the edge.

I plan to sit it on a table. I had though about legs and raising it but its going in my shed in a loft so it can't be too tall. As is its 36" tall.

...but how are you going to collect the juice? You need to get a collection pan under the lip of your press where the juice exits. I would say you would want to be under it by about 4"

EZ fix would be to back-cut the 2-by that's sticking out in front so it angles back from the spout. Put it all on a table with the spout hanging over and it should work. A plastic catch at the spout would be a nice addition. EZ enough to do by cutting one out of a gallon round plastic jug

Nice job on the presses, Fellows. My suggestion to Winointraining would be to increase the height of the lip around the base where the basket sits. That looks like about 3/4" material and could overflow in the initial press. Lovethewine seems to have a 2 x 4 rim which would seem safer. Let us know how everything works.

Yes it is 3/4 , I didn't really know how tall to make the sides. that's one of the things that will be fixed in rev2. once I start pressing I'm sure there will be other things I want to fix. I still have to mount the jack. as heavy as this thing is I feel like it could press a Buick.

I'm in the middle of making a nice basket fro mine out of oak.
Here is mine, quite similar! I used wax to seal the grooves where wood meets and everything is coated in EZ-DO.

That EZ-DO is an amazing product! I have been singing about it for a couple of years now.

Latest posts

Back