Cellar Craft Grape-Pack

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bailey427

Junior
Reaction score
Hey Everybody,
I just started a Cellar Craft Red Mt. Cab, which is my first kit with a grape-pack. The directions say to “stir the must at least once a day and make sure grape(mesh)bag stays submerged”. My question is with the fermentation pushing the bag to the surface, should I punch the grapes down to the bottom disturbing the eventual sediment, squeeze it against the side, or just gently stir it?
Thanks in advance!
Mike

Did a little more digging and found the answer under the beginner forum, imagine that...:d

No worries. No one out here throws stones.

I have made several grape pack kits and there is no substitute. In fact I have the same kit winding down in the primary now.

I have high hopes for this one because the WE cabernet I have aging now, while still young, tastes very thin.

I have high hopes for this one because the WE cabernet I have aging now, while still young, tastes very thin.

The grape pack will make a positive difference. I always use them in every kit except summer wines (mist kits).

After clearing and at least a month before bottling, add some Tan Cor Grand Cru (about 2 teaspoons to 6 gals) and it will improve mouth fill some more.

Thanks for all the help guys, i do have another one though. In this kit's directions they say to top off the must during the secondary fermentation. Wouldn't I be alright to wait to top off until fermentation is complete and the wine is stabilized? Thanks

Thanks for all the help guys, i do have another one though. In this kit's directions they say to top off the must during the secondary fermentation. Wouldn't I be alright to wait to top off until fermentation is complete and the wine is stabilized? Thanks

Usually, you don't need to top off during secondary. There is still a small amount of CO2 bubbling out and it pushes the oxygen out the air lock. Just don't be opening the top until toward the end of secondary to check SG. Don't know why they would say to top off during secondary, unless they are just being overly cautious, trying to keep possible oxidation to a minimum.

Latest posts

Back