Grandma's Wheat Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattsbrewery

Reaction score
My father has been nagging me to make this for a few years. Apparently, his mother made it almost every year. Here's the recipe he sent:

WHEAT WINE:

1 gal clean wheat
8 gal water
2 grapefruit (cut off ends of all fruit)
1 lemon
5 oranges
Grind all fruits
4 lbs raisins
2 pkg dry yeast
24 pounds of sugar

Place mixture in large container and cover. Can be kept at room temperature.

Let mixture stand 2 weeks, stir each day.
Bottle, let stand again until it clears to a golden color.

My main question here is: What does the wheat possibly contribute? Body? I'm also not sure what is meant by "Grind all fruits". I'm VERY new to the world of wine.

Some people here add dried malt extract (extra light as I recall) to some wines to add body so maybe the wheat would make the same contribution as you suggest

I have not tried a wheat wine, but it is made a lot in Wales. It makes a wine similar to a whiskey in color and taste. The wheat may add a bit of body but certainly will add carbohydrates to create alcohol. I would use a high alcohol tolerant yeast - that's a lot of sugar there between the wheat and the sugar! It is recommended to age 1-2 years before drinking.

it never ceases to amaze me what people use to make wines~! thats cool...this one kind of sounds like a beerwine or maybe a winebeer

Really I would think it is only wine. There is no malted grain in the recipe. I would love to try it. Please share photos and progress with us.

I made this or something similar last year. I made 1 with wheat, 1 with barley, and had enough leftover of the wheat & a cherry wine that I was making that I mixed the extras together for a cherry wheat wine. They are way too young to taste right now but at bottling they were all right, the cherry wheat was actually pretty good. I did not use any of the citrus fruit but did use some raisins in the barley.
When you make this I would zest and juice the citrus so you can eliminate the bitter white pith from the fruit.
VPC

I was thinking the pith can't be a good thing! What's an easy way to juice? Blender and a straining bag?

I use my little electric citrus juicer. But for a couple of dollars you can get a hand held juicer. Any store that sells kitchen gadgets should have one. Don't worry about the pulp from the juice. If you do use a blender be careful of seeds and the skin that divides the sections of fruit, sometimes they make blending citrus a bit challenging ...........
VPC

vcasey said:
If you do use a blender be careful of seeds and the skin that divides the sections of fruit, sometimes they make blending citrus a bit challenging ...........
VPC

I didn't think of that. Good call!

I'm going to start this very soon. It dawned on me that raw grains often harbor beer-spoiling bacteria (and assuming wine-spoiling as well). In beer it's not an issue because you boil the wort before fermenting.

Will K-Meta sufficiently eliminate these bacterias, or should I consider "pasturizing" the crushed grain somehow?

Also, what's the technique with raisins? Do you crush them, or just put them in whole?

I would just cut the raisins in half and the k-meta should be fine for taking care of any bacterias.
VPC

the PH of wine is also quite a bit lower, so that's quite the inhibitor of spoilage bacteria.

Just lay out the raisins on a cutting board and chop them coarsely. Or as Vcasey said in half.

As far as 24 pounds of sugar, thats quite a lot. I would just add sugar until you get somewhere near a SG that would give you 12-14% abv. Don't forget that the raisins will add some more to the sg.

I'm definitely not following her recipe exactly. I'm pretty sure they were making rocket fuel, or something really sweet (she used Fleischmenns yeast). I plan on ending around 14%, and I'm only doing 6 gallons. I'll post a final recipe along with pictures as this gets going.

I used montrachet for my wheat wine. I'll taste it someday but plan on giving it some time. I had enough extra form the wheat and a cherry wine that I started at the same time that I mixed the leftovers together and I did taste that at bottling and it was very good.
VPC

Good post. I wasn't sure what yeast to use. BTW, this will only be my second batch of wine.
smiley9.gif
Most of my fermentation history is with beer. So...any advice is very welcome.

I am looking forward to the update/pictures on this, as well as on the cherry wheat that vcasey made.

Also, where do you find the "clean wheat"? And is that as opposed to "dirty wheat"?
smiley36.gif

Mine is bottled and been that way for a while. I don't have access to my records right now, but I think I had planned on opening a bottle next year or so.

Latest posts

Back