RJ Spagnols Grand Cru International fermentation near done already?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMac

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a GCI Italian Brunello. According to the directions is to start secondary fermentation around the 6-8 days in and it should be about 1.020 S.G. and around day 20 it should be at 0.998.

I racked from my primary bucket to carboy (day 8) and my S.G. is reading around 1.000. I know that temp and other factors can change the amount of time. Has anyone seen wine ferment in almost 1/3 of the time?

Thanks,
Brad

I've had things go dry in a 5 days before, how does it taste? Any sweetness left?

Brad: My short answer is no, a wine is not going to fully ferment in one-third the time expected.

Two key things -- No. 1.: 1.000 is not fully fermented, and the 0.998 is a minimum. What you're looking for is proof it's arrived at its final destination, that it's 0.99something and not going down any further after a two or three day span. No. 2: Your hydrometer (as another guy on another site once said) is not like a Swiss watch; it's more like a sundial. It's a real ball-parky device (mostly because of our lack of scientific controls) that's subject to external influences.

Bottom line: Never rush fermentation. It's not that hard, but you only get one shot at it, and if you blow it, it's blown for good.

Jim

Thanks guys.
I knew it wasn't fully fermented, I was just surprised that it was as low as it is. I am in NO rush at all so I have no problem leaving it. Guess I'll leave it for about a week and half and check it then.

YES, I have seen wines ferment to below 1.000 in 7 days. When I ran a Ferment on Presmises, with good temp control in the fermentation area, Vineco kits were nearly always below .995 after 7 days, and sometimes .992.

RJS kits were usually below 1.000, and often .995. The Grand Cru International kits with grape skins were not yet available when I ran the FoP, so I have no experience with them.

Despite seemingly being finished early, I always wait the time specified in the instructions to ensure complete fermentation and some settling of the wine.

Remember, patience is a winemaker's best friend.

Steve

Oh yeah, I have full intention on leaving it the instruction ways. I never had any plans to stray away from the directions. Maybe I didn't word my first post properly.

I look forward to this wine and since I just bottle my KRC Valpolicella a couple of weeks ago, I should be able to bulk age this Brunello for at least 3 months :h

Latest posts

Back