Gout and cherry juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6carboys

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've read several article that cherries help prevent bouts or gout if take regularly along with your medicine or alone. The fruit is expensive and not in season year round. eBay has a listing of 8 pack 46oz bottles of USA 100% Montmorency tart cherry juice. Would this work? Could I make wine with it, and would the wine be as effective as just juice?

I also have a freezer pack 5 gal jug of cherry juice that is over 10 yrs old that hasn't been open. Would this be effective as wine vs gout? I would rather sip on a glass of wine and buy the 8 pack of juice.

Thanks

6carboys

IS montmorency cherrys used for pies? I've done a lot of reading for gout prevention and never read an article specifying makes or cherrys.
Thanks

For Gout Black Cherry concentrate is best, Montmorency provides some help/relief - But Allopurinol (or other drugs) is the way to go if you really have issues. A compound in Black Cherry's is similar to the ones in Allopurinol.

Colchicine will help an acute attack, but is hard on some folks stomaches - and is now expensive since the FDA made it a regulated drug and not an across the counter supplement. I have been on Allopurinol for three years now - best thing I ever did for my gout. I tried the cherry concentrate, it helped - but the Allopurinol keeps the gout far-far away. I eat shell fish with impunity now.

One of the best non-kit fruit wines I have made was Montmorency Cherry made from concentrate and with dried cherries - it was a big hit with the family. Gout is made worse by alcohol - so any benefit from the cherry compounds is negated by the alcohol - Sorry!

Beer is one of the worst things to consume if you have uric acid issues (alcohol + purinols) You also need to avoid other diuretics - they increase uric acid levels.

Latest posts

Back