Mosti Mondiale Got my Gewurztraminer!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aging and everything sounds right. As far as the conditioner goes, that is personal taste as it is an f-pack so you will want to taste but Im sure that its not designed to be as sweet as a mist kit.

Ok, rack then filter, that makes sense. I'll just kind of play it by ear with the conditioner and see how it is.

Another option is to not add the clarifiers until after you bulk age. Mosti says that leaves the fine lees in longer and thus improves the wine. In that case, you'd follow the instructions up to adding the clarifiers (but don't), then bulk age. When you're ready, add the clarifiers (and maybe more sulphite), waita few weeks, then filter (optional) and bottle. I did that with a Meglioli Riesling and it turned out great. Don't know if it actually helped, but it sure didn't hurt.

Mark said:
Another option is to not add the clarifiers until after you bulk age. Mosti says that leaves the fine lees in longer and thus improves the wine. In that case, you'd follow the instructions up to adding the clarifiers (but don't), then bulk age. When you're ready, add the clarifiers (and maybe more sulphite), waita few weeks, then filter (optional) and bottle. I did that with a Meglioli Riesling and it turned out great. Don't know if it actually helped, but it sure didn't hurt.

Yeah, thats what the instructions show and I've been thinking about that too...so many options!

Mike1973 said:
They also said to add yeast nutrients at this step but there were not any. 

Hey Mike; I ran into the same thing. If you look at Step 2 in the MM directions/booklet, you will see it say: please follow the next 4 steps (if applicable), I was also like wtf i do now hehe.. i did have some fermax yeast nutrients so i threw in 3 tables spoon of that. soon as i threw that stuff in the wine bubble and fizzled real fast but didnt rise.

You taste your wine yet?

Edited by: Dominick

Dominick said:
Mike1973 said:
They also said to add yeast nutrients at this step but there were not any.

Hey Mike; I ran into the same thing. If you look at Step 2 in the MM directions/booklet, you will see it say: please follow the next 4 steps (if applicable), I was also like wtf i do now hehe.. i did have some fermax yeast nutrients so i threw in 3 tables spoon of that. soon as i threw that stuff in the wine bubble and fizzled real fast but didnt rise.

You taste your wine yet?

Not yet, its settling out real nice though. In a few days I'll do a SG reading and I think a splash of it might end up in a glass :) I didn't do any nutrients but I'm sure it'll be ok. I would have to assume if they were really needed that they would be included (I hope!).

Well, my SG has been at .994 for 3 straight days so I racked again today and added the supplied K-Meta. Going into bulk storage in my besement for probably 3 months. I left a little behind in the lees as I was getting some sediment. I guess I left a little much, it took me a whole bottle to top up with and I still have some more space. Do you guys think I should top off any more or am I ok. (sorry about the mess, I hadn't cleaned at this point!)
20080628_181053_100_0638_Small.jpg

I would top up some more....to with in 2 in. of the bung....that would be a lot of head space for bulk aging if left as is....does look nice ...good luck..
smiley32.gif

wade said:
Do you still have to add the F-Pack?

This one just has a small bottle of conditioner, George suggested not adding till I add the sorbate. I'll go get some more wine tomorrow to top up with.

Dont forget that sorbate and meta should be added together as without meta the sorbate could throw off a geranium smell.

wade said:
Dont forget that sorbate and meta should be added together as without meta the sorbate could throw off a geranium smell.

Will do!! My plan is to let it sit for a couple months, add the clarifying agents and let it sit a bit longer, then add sorbate, k meta, filter and bottle! I'm actually starting a Vintners Reserve kit early next week. I figure thats a quicker drinking wine so I can be enjoying that within a few months as this ages and of course I already have another kit and a couple in mind. I think I have a problem!
smiley4.gif

Thanks everyone for all the help and thanks to George and all the mods and members for a great site!
Edited by: Mike1973

That reminds me...I need to go stir one of my problems!
smiley4.gif

Welcome to the club, Mike!!

Mike, I have "A Problem" on the way, thanks to George!! Can't wait. haha
smiley36.gif

Back