Goodbye FastFerment! - Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeCal1952

Reaction score
Hello all and sorry to be a pain, but I am disgusted with this FastFerment product and want to switch to a bucket and carboy so I can properly age wine.

Looking at the instructions for my Winexpert kit, I see they show that you go from bucket to carboy, then to another carboy??? I used to use a bucket/carboy method, but don't ever remember using 2 glass carboys? I only had one, but that was a long time ago.

Is there someone who can write me a brief description on how to make wine using a bucket and carboy, or is there a thread already written with clear instructions that I could read.
Thanks!

Personally, I would use a bucket and two glass carboys just as described in the instructions. However, some people do it with just one carboy by racking from carboy to bucket, cleaning & sanitizing the carboy right away, and then racking back to the carboy as soon as possible. BTW, it will probably be easier to degas while the wine is in the bucket.

Steve

Hello all and sorry to be a pain, but I am disgusted with this FastFerment product and want to switch to a bucket and carboy so I can properly age wine.

Looking at the instructions for my Winexpert kit, I see they show that you go from bucket to carboy, then to another carboy??? I used to use a bucket/carboy method, but don't ever remember using 2 glass carboys? I only had one, but that was a long time ago.

Is there someone who can write me a brief description on how to make wine using a bucket and carboy, or is there a thread already written with clear instructions that I could read.
Thanks!

When it comes time to rack into the 2nd carboy just transfer the wine into your bucket. Then clean your carboy and rack it back into the original carboy.

Personally, I would use a bucket and two glass carboys just as described in the instructions. However, some people do it with just one carboy by racking from carboy to bucket, cleaning & sanitizing the carboy right away, and then racking back to the carboy as soon as possible. BTW, it will probably be easier to degas while the wine is in the bucket.

Steve

OK, that sounds familiar now that you mention going back to the bucket, then back to the carboy. Any issues with Oxygen when you do all that transferring?
That's about the only good thing about the fasferment, but other than that, I don't like it for wine, maybe beer.
Thanks

When it comes time to rack into the 2nd carboy just transfer the wine into your bucket. Then clean your carboy and rack it back into the original carboy.

Thanks Jumby - I just responded to cpfan's answer and I think I remember now that is the way I did it. I'll ask you what I asked him. With all the transferring, any worries with oxygen getting to the wine?

One other thing - Should I get a 6 gallon Carboy since that is how much the kits make? There won't be any head space to worry about with long term aging...??

Last edited:
OK, that sounds familiar now that you mention going back to the bucket, then back to the carboy. Any issues with Oxygen when you do all that transferring?
That's about the only good thing about the fasferment, but other than that, I don't like it for wine, maybe beer.
Thanks

No need to worry. Your wine will be fine.

Not being a kit winemaker, I am not sure if the kit makes 6 gallons of Must (pre-ferment) or 6 gallons of finished wine. My guess is that it makes 6 gallons of must.

If this is the case, my advice is to get one 5 gal carboy, one 1 gallon jug, and one 1/2 gal jug....

When transferring out of your primary (bucket), fill the 5 gallon carboy and the 1 gallon jug to within 1 inch of the stopper/lock.

When you rack your carboy for the first time, use the wine in 1 gallon jug to top off the 5 gallon carboy. What remains, you can transfer to a 1/2 gallon jug.

When you rack again, use the 1/2 gallon jug to top off and drink the remainder!

Not being a kit winemaker, I am not sure if the kit makes 6 gallons of Must (pre-ferment) or 6 gallons of finished wine. My guess is that it makes 6 gallons of must.

If this is the case, my advice is to get one 5 gal carboy, one 1 gallon jug, and one 1/2 gal jug....

When transferring out of your primary (bucket), fill the 5 gallon carboy and the 1 gallon jug to within 1 inch of the stopper/lock.

When you rack your carboy for the first time, use the wine in 1 gallon jug to top off the 5 gallon carboy. What remains, you can transfer to a 1/2 gallon jug.

When you rack again, use the 1/2 gallon jug to top off and drink the remainder!

Now that's a great idea! The kits "make" 6 gallons pre-ferment. I guess I will lose a touch with transferring, but not as much as the fast ferment. Thanks again...You all are a big help....

I know that you have given up on the fast ferment, but have you considered doing your primary in a bucket, and then transfering at about 1.010 or 1.020 into the fast ferment. you would still have some co2 formation to protect the wine, and then you could then finish it in the fast ferment. Just a thought. Dale.

If I'm not mistaken, your issue with the FastFerment had something to do with oak chips or some other large debris correct??? If so, why not just do the oaking in the secondary. After all it is intended to be just the fermenter. And as many do, when it's time, simply rack back to a bucket, clean your carboy, and refill. I've done it this way many times with no ill oxygenation effects. Be sure to keep everything sanitized!

Last edited:
FWIW, I use 6-gallon carboys (which are actually even a bit bigger than that). After losing some volume to the lees, I pretty much plan on topping off with 2 or 3 bottles of a similar wine. I am fine with this.

I am going out today to get a carboy and bucket and I do intend on getting a 6 gallon. I don't think I will need to top it off. I won't lose much and I am not worried about a 2 or 3 inch head space. I aged wine in the fast ferment for 3 months with 1 foot of head space and nothing went wrong - It is just a pain. If I can clean it good enough I'll do some Amber Ale in it.

If I'm not mistaken, your issue with the FastFerment had something to do with oak chips or some other large debris correct??? If so, why not just do the oaking in the secondary. After all it is intended to be just the fermenter. And as many do, when it's time, simply rack back to a bucket, clean your carboy, and refill. I've done it this way many times with no ill oxygenation effects. Be sure to keep everything sanitized!

It's a good thought, but I think I may use bucket/carboy for primary and secondary, then when ready to bottle, use the fast ferment for that alone - It does make bottling simple!

Thanks!

I know that you have given up on the fast ferment, but have you considered doing your primary in a bucket, and then transfering at about 1.010 or 1.020 into the fast ferment. you would still have some co2 formation to protect the wine, and then you could then finish it in the fast ferment. Just a thought. Dale.

It's a good thought, but I think I may use bucket/carboy for primary and secondary, then when ready to bottle, use the fast ferment for that alone - It does make bottling simple!

Thanks to all for input!

Latest posts

Back