Good idea for first-ever attempt at winemaking?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CheerfulHeart

Still wineing
Reaction score
My equipment kit finally arrived...Yippy skippy happy dance! :D I am thinking about EdWort's Apfelwein as my first ever batch of non-kit wine and then making Skeeter Pee when that is done, using the Apfelwein for the yeast slurry. Does that sound like a good progression, in terms of a good basic start in winemaking? Also, could I use a 6 gallon carboy as the secondary for a 5 gallon batch of Apfelwein? Or should I make a larger batch of wine? There are so many possibilities, it's a bit overwhelming, in a positive way. :D Thank you in advance!

CheerfulHeart

Looks like you are in for an adventure. Apple wine should be cheap to make, so no hard feelings if it does not turn out. So sure why not, go for it. However, one thing I would highly recommend, if you have a 6 gallon carboy, I would recommend you make around 7.5 gallons of must.

That way you have more than enough to fill the 6 gallon carboy and you can even set some aside in some smaller bottles for topping off with. ( use an airlock to avoid blowing bottles up)

One of the things you never want to do is age in secondary with too much head space. You pretty much want your wine right up/in the neck of the carboy to avoid oxidation/infection.

Thank you! I don't know if this will be a repeat reply. My account timed out on me. The oxidation/infection factor was what I was wondering about. (the term escaped me when I was typing my first post). I appreciate the recommendation about the 7.5 gallons of must. I will definitely do that. As soon as the extra airlocks arrive, I will get the show on the road, or the must in the bucket. :h I live in a rural mountain area so all my winemaking supplies are from online. My kit came with just 1 airlock and I totally forgot about ordering extras :slp The smaller glass bottles I already have. LOL

Back