Goldmine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
Look what I found at the recycling center today! 2 5 gallon glass Crystal Rock carboys that were used for only holding water then making wine. He gave up wine making as he was getting to old and is moving into a retirement home where he can be cared for. Wish I could have met him before he got rid of his 3 barrels and all his other wine making tools but Ill take these for free and thats a great deal. He hasnt used them in over 5 years so I have the soaking in bleach and water just to be sure but they were clean.
20071110_125909_Carboys.jpg

Some people have all the luck...You with 2 free ones...Waldo with 5 at a garage sale and Jobe with 50 extra cases of bottles.....Geez...living in the boonies has it's drawbacks...

Great Find Wade!
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif

NW: Sometimes I consider getting bottles for free luck........ but right now with all the room they take up it's almost a curse.

I'm gonna clear a space out in the shed and store them out there. Right now they are in the middle of the family room with barely enough room to walk by them. Plus I got about 20 cases in my wine room which doesn't leave much room for my equipment.

I wonder what it would cost to ship a pallet of 30 or 40 cases by freight? Any shipping people out there!?

Wade, you lucky dog!!!

I'm sorting through my orphan bottles today....all colors, and shapes to get enough to bottle wine tomorrow !!!!

Ramona

Ramona...being in a big city like you are there must be plenty of places to get bottles.

We have a friend with a supper club down by where we use to live...They put their wine bottles in a glass dumpster...another friend picks them up...sometimes the girls leave boxes out for him. They like when he takes them...more dumpster space.

Well I just got home and found some liquid around one of the carboys full of bleach/water and discovered a small crack. So Im down to 1 but thats still better than none. I had to drain it with a hose cause I was afraid to move it and have 5 gallons all over the floor.

wade said:
Well I just got home and found some liquid around one of the carboys full of bleach/water and discovered a small crack. So Im down to 1 but thats still better than none. I had to drain it with a hose cause I was afraid to move it and have 5 gallons all over the floor.

Well that answers my question on the other post about the bleach through the racking hose
smiley36.gif

NW, I try to keep around the number ofbottles I will need as I have no room to store any in this little apartment so some times I get down to the odds and ends and use them up before I restock. Someday I hope that I can have a house with a wine room of my own then look out!!!

Ramona

Wade,

Wise move with the hose. Not to mention getting cut if you tried piciking it up and having it go to pieces.

Ramona

I was so happy for you.

We got two carboys at a garage sale once...when we got them home one had a cracked neck...then come to find out they were eight gallon ones and we probably couldn't pick it up if it was full....so we got 0 for 2.

Anyone need an eight gallon carboy???

I recently bought some equipment from a guy who primarily made beer, though he dabbled in wine as well. I brought home 2 five gallon carboys that were cloudy and dusty. While I was washing them, I discovered what I first thought was a flaw in the side. I got it into the sun where my aging eyes could examine it better and discovered a metal pellet imbedded in the side of the carboy. I still wonder how that pellet got there and what kept it from shattering the carboy into a thousand pieces!

100_1430.jpg

100_1432.jpg

</span>

It's kind of hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like it was there when it was manufactured. Is that how it looks in real time?

Northern Winos said:
Some people have all the luck...You with 2 free ones...Waldo with 5 at a garage sale and Jobe with 50 extra cases of bottles.....Geez...living in the boonies has it's drawbacks...
Yeah, but for the price of a house or farm around here, I'll live here vs where Wade lives. If I lived back east we'd be in adjoining Fridgidaire boxes! (Of course, we'd have 1 of them just for wine...
smiley36.gif
)

Latest posts

Back