Goldbeere Elderberry good wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cintipam

Reaction score
Hi all

Has anyone made wine from Goldbeere Elderberries? I make mostly white wine, but I think throwing in some elderberries would upgrade some blends I've made in the past. I'd rather keep it looking white than blush, so Goldbeere would be my only choice. The price buying these bushes is steep enough that I feel I should ask around if it will work well before paying lots and working for years to get some berries to try for myself.

thanks for any feedback

Pam in cinti

Maybe WVMJ knows, but I've been meaning to buy some of these bushes myself, to answer this same-sort of question myself

I'm not sure how their flavor, tannin levels and sugar levels compare to the black or blue berries

Great minds, huh! Excellent points too. OK. hopefully the expert will see the questions and pop in to help.

Pam in cinti

Not an Expert but, we did try to grow these but they are Euro elders not Canadensis. For some reason in our place the Euros grow fast for a year or 2 and then die right down to the roots and dont come back. So not having had any berries cant say anything about fermenting them. I dont see any reason not to give them a try, dont think they are going to have much tannins, they are a nice gold color and should make a nice white wine. If you grow them you might even try drying some to make a wine from, that would probably intensify the tastes even more. WVMJ

WVMJ, great info! I had no idea that this pricy plant could be so unstable. If I do try this, and I think it would take a very good deal now to get me to plant this puppy, drying the berries is an excellent suggestion. I think you are right about the tannins, but luckily there's an solution for that. Purchased tannin actually made for white wine. Honestly, it is a big help to understand this is NOT an easy care great picking plant. Helps me cool my jets and focus on projects with a better chance of success.

Nothing beats experience. Thanks for sharing yours.

Pam in cinti

Not sayin dont plant it at all, just right here it didnt do well for us. You really could give some regular elderberries a try, there are so many ways you can make wine from them, pretty much just as many ways to make elderberry wine as there is for grape wine, even dried elderberries make a great wine, or mead, or port. Have you guys had gooseberries or red currants, all those make excellent wines also. WVMJ

I love gooseberries. I have about 8 kinds planted. I have high hopes that the Hinomaki yellow will be an interesting addition for white wines, but it has yet to produce more than a few berries. Several other varieties that are light will prob produce enough this year for a combo wine test, but not any variety. I have tons of Hin red, Tixia, and Black Velvet. Love BV the most, but they get eaten fast.

I also have red and white currants, also not enough yet to test wine. Another new planting for wine purposes is a couple Aronia varieties, Autumn magic and Viking. I think a few berries will add some tannin, but also a bit of a blush to a white based wine.

I really appreciate knowing the Goldbeere is not as hardy as the others. I know, you say thats your area only. But that is a pricy plant, and now I know to splurge elsewhere, and only get Goldbeere if I find one clearance or some cheap seeds etc. It may work well, but I'm not blowing the budget to find out.

thanks so much

Pam in cinti

Back