Which yeast for elderberry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huba Huba

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been picking/freezing/dehydrating elderberries for the last couple of weeks and am contemplating an elderberry wine and/or mead. I have a plan except for which yeast. Lots of recipes just call for a red wine yeast, I would like a more specific recommendation. Anyone care to offer one?
After a brief study of Scotts winemaking guide, D21 seems it would be a good choice.
"Freshness and mouthfeel for mature and concentrated reds and whites. Merlot, Syrah, Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Structured Reds".
I have seen recommendations for 71B, EC-1118, K1-V as well. Am I over thinking this? Any problems or experience with D21?

RC-212 was my second choice based on reading the Scott's handbook. but since I am relatively new to this and have very little practical experience I was curious what others might use. This sentence caused me a little concern,
"RC 212 requires thoughtful nutrient additions to avoid potential hydrogen sulfide production", or it might have been my first choice.
I have both 71B and K1-V on hand and think either would be good, Just looking for something that might be better.
At this point I'm still thinking I will try the D21 unless someone tells me a reason not to.

I was just about to post the same question!

I used red star premier classique for my elderberry last year, mainly because it's what I had on hand. It fermented just fine but I'm looking to change things up this year. @Huba Huba ,thanks for the suggestion of D21 - it does seem to me like a good choice. BM45 might be another option, though it seems nutrient management might need more careful attention. BM4X4 (I think a blend containing BM45?) is advertised as lowering tannic astringency, which seems attractive for elderberry. Right now I'm thinking D21 or BM4X4 - I would love to do a head to head comparison, but I don't think I have enough fruit for 2 batches.

I agree, either of those look like they would be a good choice, but my LHBS doesn't carry either, would have to order online. This year it looks like D21, maybe next year I'll try another.
Experimentation is great but with wine/mead it takes a long time. Even making several one gallon batches it takes at least a year or two. That's the great advantage of this forum, allowing someone like me to take advantage of the greater experience and wisdom of the other participants.

Latest posts

Back