Going to secondary fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCGoodin

Reaction score
Looking for an answer. I purchased a full 6 gallon bucket of Chardonnay from Amazon. It contains a full 6 gallons. I can rack to a 6 gallon carboy, however, that carboy is going to full up to the neck. The question is: "How do I de-gas it, if it's that full?" There wouldn't seem to be enough room.

Can I rack to a clean fermentation bucket and then de-gas in the fermentation bucket, prior to racking to the carboy?

Anyone ever have this problem?

Looking for an answer. I purchased a full 6 gallon bucket of Chardonnay from Amazon. It contains a full 6 gallons. I can rack to a 6 gallon carboy, however, that carboy is going to full up to the neck. The question is: "How do I de-gas it, if it's that full?" There wouldn't seem to be enough room.

Can I rack to a clean fermentation bucket and then de-gas in the fermentation bucket, prior to racking to the carboy?

Yes you can degas in a primary. Some people like to do that.

However, very few carboys are a true 6 US gallons. Usually they will hold more.

Have you ever made a kit before? (I suspect that you are asking about a 6 gallon sterile must kit.) Kits are supposed to be made up to a full 6 gallons. Thus the same problem when in a carboy.

Steve

I would thief out a quart or a little more. Do your degassing then add the quart back in. The wine will clear fine and next rack splash rack and you will be good to go.

You should pour it into your clean fermentation bucket then after fermentation slows transfer it to the carboy. I would wait to de-gas until fermentation is finished and you are ready to clear it.
Good luck with the batch!
Phil

Latest posts

Back