Go big or go home... Right?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i hear ya 32 gallon primary, could you imagine a bad batch :(

oh man, that would be so heartbreaking. You'd have to really master your wine on the small batches before feeling comfortable to bulking 32 gallons!

you would have to use the shop-vac brand wine pump to transfer :)

It not necessarily for putting 30 gallons of liquid in it... But what else are you gonna stuff 100+ pounds into when you want a good 10 gallon batch? The trash cans come in handy for decent sized batches of fruit wines with lots of solids...

Tom basically called me crazy when i made a 112lbs batch of red raspberry that yielded about 12 gallons.. But it fit wonderfully, was only about 2/3 of the way full & its one of the best wines ive made so far...

I only have 2 fermenters, a 12 gallon for anything under about 8 gallons and hte 32 gallon for anything over..

You can make 30 gallons of pee in one, and Lon did so, but it has a lot more options y'all havent considered yet... Just wait til you find that deal on fruit and you cant walk away from any of it (like 28lbs of frozen red raspberries for 25 bucks)... It'll happen to Josh, here in WA.. I promise that.

Last edited:
oh man, that would be so heartbreaking. You'd have to really master your wine on the small batches before feeling comfortable to bulking 32 gallons!

Large batches are generally more forgiving than smaller batches... It's easier to notice the flaws in a 1-gallon batch of wine than it is in a 30 gallon batch of wine...

You might find it handy to have a second 6 gal carboy for racking purposes.

Wait, WHAT!? are those food safe? I totally want to do 30 gal of skeeter pee! Where you get them?

Edit: like this? Seems too simple.. Lol

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Rubbermaid-Roughneck-32-Gallon-Trash-Can-Black/100656030/

The Brute is food safe and has the food safe symbol on lid and can. It is safe for acids, etc., or it could not earn the symbol The Roughneck is not food safe. I have a 20 gallon Brute. Marvelous.

Darn, the brute its alot more expensive. But I'll def go with it if I'm doin skeeter pee. Time to start searching! What's the symbol that your talking about?

Pretty sure they're made of the same grade of plastic (the number in the triangle on the bottom of the can).. There's a thread on here some where about it, i had pulled up charts describing the differences between the numbers on the plastics used....

If they've since-added the food safe symbol in the last 2 years to the Brute cans, its news to me 'cause thats the first ive heard of it

Edit: I'm assuming the price difference is mostly because A) Brute cans are a bit thicker plastic than Roughnecks & B ) the extra testing they employed to get the nifty little stamp...

Last edited:
My google search is telling me I want a number 5 in the triangle. Is that correct?

Pretty sure you want a 1, 2 or a 4...

1 & 2 can be used for long term storage - think Better Bottles - i think they're a grade 1 (PET plastic).. 4 is okay for short-term storage / primary fermentation

My bottling bucket is a 2 (HDPE)
The roughneck is a 4 (LDPE)
Cant look on the bottom of my other fermenter right now, its full of peaches but pretty sure its a 4 too

Yeah I'm sure your right deezil, but I just don't have the space for that big of a batch right now!

When I searched I found a chart for them and the example they have for a 5 was beer crates, maybe that's just the case that holds the beer cans or something. Ok so I want a type 1 or 2 plastic preferred but a 4 is ok.

Also know that the number has nothing to do with food grade. Its just the type of plastic it is. Most people think certain numbers are food grade because they see these numbers on their every day food containers. These just tell you what type of plastic the container its made off. To be sold as Legal food grade containers it must be a certain type of plastic and brand new materials. The trash cans are most likely recycled material, but personally I don't see a problem with recycled plastic anyways. Brute trash can, here I come!

Pretty sure it said on the rubbermaid website that they didnt contain any recycled plastics but im by-no-means an expert on any of this, just sharing what i learned doing my own research roughly 2yrs ago

But you're right, "food safe" is a classification of its own, and if brute trash cans have earned that approval thats great but food safe also hints at long-term storage, in order to actually have the amount of time pass to worry about the leaching effects on the contents... Not something we'd generally have to worry about unless we fermented a white wine / mead for several months

The numbers do have everything to do with what chemicals & the rate at which they're leached though, which makes all the difference in the world... So while it doesnt have much to do with "food safe", it does have something to do what we're trying to accomplish

A rather late "weigh in".

for $900, you could easily afford a 300 liter stainless steel variable capacity tank. Why go big when you can go huge?

If you want to use the trash can sized containers and worry about food-grade, just buy some food grade liners. They are easily found at restaurant supply stores (onsite and online), and clean up is a SNAP---remove liner, quick wash/sanitizing of container and you are done. (and if you ever work with fresh elderberries, the liner attracts the famous green goo). I have two rectangular lugs, and I cannot recall the volume off the top of my head but I know they easily hold 55# of grapes plus 10 gallons of liquid.

I would recommend having at least 1 three gallon carboy in your inventory, it comes in handy because some kits are only three gallons, plus you never know when you will need it for your own recipes..when you think you will have a six gallon yield but end up with nine, etc. And do not forget to have an assortment of smaller glass bottles (1 gallon, 1.5 liter, etc)--they work well for the overage that many of us create to provide a "topping up" wine of the same batch. Also remember that if you ultimately plan on using vacuum pump, you will want glass carboys, not Better Bottles---though you can find a balance of use between the two styles of carboys.

Hope your plan comes together!!

Last edited:
That liner sounds great, not because of the food grade issue, more so the clean up! Im going to have to look for some!

I'd probably use a liner myself, when working with a cool-fermenting white or mead (if i wanted to achieve weeks in fermentation, 55F-ish) because of the extended time in contact with the plastics.. sounds like a hellovan idear

Deezil said:
I'd probably use a liner myself, when working with a cool-fermenting white or mead (if i wanted to achieve weeks in fermentation, 55F-ish) because of the extended time in contact with the plastics.. sounds like a hellovan idear

Yeah it sounds like the liner is definitely the best way to bulk batches of wine

Latest posts

Back