Other GMO sugar in kits?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejiang

Reaction score
Paklab claims in their website their wine products is GMO free ( implies their beer kits are not).

So I checked the other kit producers. I didn't find others claim the same. I then wrote email letters to Cellar Craft and SRJ. I will post their reply here once I got it.

FYI, sugar in North America is mostly contaminated by GMO, by either GMO sweat beet or GMO corn. So far as I know, only cane sugar is safe to use. I hope the Kits producers are aware of that.

Any input?

There are no added sugars in RJS wine kits. The Ingrediant list is on the side of the box. If a kit uses a sweetner then RJS uses a Suss reserve which is a concentrate made from garpes.

I agree, no sugar added to non f-pack kits.
No sugar added by the user. But many (most?) kits list glucose/fructose (on the RJS En Primeur box that I have) or liquid invert sugar (Ken Ridge Showcase and Cellar Craft Showcase) as one of the possible ingredients.

Steve

Sugar is crystallized and purified. I'm not sure what you mean by "contaminated with GMO". That statement really doesn't make sense. What exactly is the concern?

GreginND said:
Sugar is crystallized and purified. I'm not sure what you mean by "contaminated with GMO". That statement really doesn't make sense. What exactly is the concern?

Sugar is not pure as opposed to common belief. The sugar made from GMO contains GMO gene which will cause a lot of illness in the long term. You can google "how it's made, sugar" to understand if sugar is pure crystal or not.

Ejiang,

I understand that GMO crops are controversial and that it there is debate about agricultural sustainability and corporate profits.

But sugar does not contain genes and plant DNA does not cause illness. There is no issue of safety eating sugar from GMO beets.

If you don't want to support the GMO industry by not using their products, that's one thing. There certainly are side consequences to using GMO practices for sustainability. And that is a topic that needs to be discusses and addressed. But claiming that the sugar from GMO beets is somehow toxic or will cause illness is disingenuous. Pure sucrose is pure sucrose. And eating DNA does not incorporate anything into our DNA.

Adding sugar to wine must is called chaptalization, and is a common addition in both winery wines and kit wines. In Winexpert's literature, the only series that makes the "no sugar added" claim is the estate series. Even though I have some concerns with certain GMOs, I have no concerns with making wine kits that have added sugar.

Latest posts

Back