Glycerin Haze?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scsbo

Reaction score
I was shockingly disappointed this morning to see my 5 - gallon orange wine hazy!
It was crystal clear last night and I decided to add pot meta and sorbate right amounts) in order to bottle it this morning. Everything went well and I went to bed with a happy expectations for today's bottling. Then I suddenly decided to add some glycerin, a tbsp per gallon, to give more viscosity and mouthfeel to my orange wine. I did it, and everything again seemed to be all right. But this morning I discovered to my horror that the wine had become hazy, it is impossible to bottle it in this condition.
I know, I can clarify it again using fining agents, but I don't know where this haze came from. I suspect it is the glycerin (maybe potassium metabisulfite and sorbate ?), but I had tried the same additives in the past with no such negative effect. What happened?
I will really appreciate any insight to help me and all of us avoid such complications.

Thank you

Latest posts

Back