Getting Ready to Bottle!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevs15

Reaction score
Good evening everyone!

I am getting ready to bottle my first batch in the next week or two. I am very excited!

Any words of wisdom? How much time should I set aside for this process?

My only words of wisdom for you are make sure the wine is done fermenting. Shouldnt take more than a couple of hours assuming your bottles are already clean. Have fun.

-Chris

Good evening everyone!

I am getting ready to bottle my first batch in the next week or two. I am very excited!

Any words of wisdom? How much time should I set aside for this process?

Chevs, I assume you already have your bottles ready to go that you'll be using. I usually take an hour for set up which includes sanitizing my bottles and an hour for clean up. It would be great if you had a second person helping so you can fill the bottles and they can cork. Once you get started this actual bottling process, 6 gallons should take about 30-45 minutes.

Being that this is your first time I would double check everything the day before and make sure you have everything you need. You might even try filling a few bottles with water just to get a feel for it. What are you using to bottles with? What kind of corker do you have?

It depends on how much wine you plan on "testing" while bottling.....jk. Assuming it's a six gallon batch about an hour and a half. Make sure everything is in order, clean/san the bottles, ready your corks....make sort of an assembly line. I don't use any fancy pumps just a siphon hose with an inline valve to control the flow. I also put my bottles in a plastic bucket to collect any overflow. You can bottle the wine in the bucket or drink it. If your using a hand corker it will take longer. If you can get a floor corker, much quicker and easier and makes the job more enjoyable. One key thing to bottling your first batch.....don't forget to get some really nice labels to impress your friends and family. I got mine from "My own Lables" (I think that's the name). You can design your own from a bunch of their templates........best thing I ever did, pretty impressive handing a bottle of wine with your own name on it. Have fun, enjoy the moment.

I have my bottles cleaned but will obviously sanitize again right before bottling. I have a basic kit that came with a bottle filler and a single level corker.

Great idea about a trial run with some water! I also like the idea of putting the each bottle in a bucket while bottling to collect any over flow!

It should only take you a couple of hours, start to finish.
My only suggestion is to make sure it is ready to bottle. Many newbies are so anxious to get that wine in the bottle that they don't let it sit long enough for all the sediment to fall out. After all my wines sit for several months, with at least a few rackings, I filter every one of them. IMHO. Good Luck!!!

+1 on not getting over anxious
don't forget to post some pics
in about a month if you get what looks like silt in your bottles you know you didn't wait long enough.
but just so you know, it wont hurt ya, give it a little shake before you open it and drink em up fast, I really don't know how it would affect the flavor over extended aging time.

Thanks! I've racked a couple times and intend to rack one more time before bottling.

Either you guys are super fast or over optimistic. I start with clean bottles. On bottling day I rinse bottles again and sanitize. I do a final rack into primary/ bottling bucket. I fill using gravity and a simple wand with spring tip filler. I do 8 splits and 24 standard bottles and a magnum. I use a floor corker. Next I add capsules using the boiling water method. Then add gummed labels. Actual time on task is about three hours. Since I multitask and read and comment on this forum while bottling and often making chili or barbeque I always fill an entire Saturday.

Latest posts

Back