Getting grapes, need help...please

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djboocher

Junior
Reaction score
A friend of mine is going to be bringing me some red grapes. He is going to ask his dad (supplier) what type they are when he picks them up. I over spoke and suggested that we make some wine out of them. I have made a couple of batches from concentrate so I have an idea, but may be out of my element.

My question(s) are what supplies do I need? I have some mesh/nylon bags and a couple of other additives, but what else do I need? I would prefer to make this as simple as possible. A recipe would also probably be helpful.

Thank you greatly for your help!

hydrometer if you do not have one...
auto syphon racking cane if you do nut have one.
what did you have when making the concentrates

would help if we had more info like:
are you going to crush
are you going to use the skins
are you going to just use juice, are add water
what kind of yeast
what kind of fermentation vessel do you have
as much info as you can give would really help everyone out

You aren't going to get a whole lot of wine. Probably between a gal. and a gal and a half. Pick em off the stems, smash them up some. I put some pectic enzime in with them to help with the extraction. Put the pulp in a strainer bag and place in a bucket. Let get to room temp and add yeast or use the natural yeast. I add some nutrient, yeast energizer, check the s.g. and boost it up some if you have to or would like to . Now, stir every day and wait. When down around 1.000 to 1.010, transfer to secondary. Wait some more. When finished fermenting, k-meta and sorbate if you want to sweeten. If not sweetening, just the k-meta. Good luck with it, Arne.

Haha! Arne's got the shortest grape wine recipe ever.

My first question would be are they table grapes? For example, Thompson Seedless is a table variety. You can make a wine from them, but it's mostly good as a base and benefits highly from later flavoring.

Back