Gerber baby food wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineista

Reaction score
So I am still a newbie when in comes to wine making, but thought that this would be a great idea. People use fruit puree, which is exactly what baby food is with out additives. I priced fruit puree (49 oz about $20) versus baby food (62 oz about $5) and decided to go for it!

I used Gerber tropical fruit flavor, sugar, etc to SG 1.090

I just started a 1 gallon batch today so will update as I go along...

Last edited:
Definitely sounds interesting. Why not! Let us know how it turns out.

Very curious indeed!

What is the recipe that you used and did you use any preservatives? I have a TON of baby food left over from my daughter and this might be exactly what I'm looking for! (Especially since my family loves to make homemade wine - its almost like a competition!)

I don't want to use too many preservatives - hopefully just baby food, sugar, water, and yeast, but I'm new to this so I'm not quite sure what to do!

Hmmmmmmm, interesting! Definitely never thought about fermenting baby food!

My family might wonder what I am doing with a closet full of baby food.......... (I have no kids)

RE:

Very curious indeed!

What is the recipe that you used and did you use any preservatives? I have a TON of baby food left over from my daughter and this might be exactly what I'm looking for! (Especially since my family loves to make homemade wine - its almost like a competition!)

I don't want to use too many preservatives - hopefully just baby food, sugar, water, and yeast, but I'm new to this so I'm not quite sure what to do!

I am also very new to making wine, so I just make it up as I go along after doing some research online and figure I will learn by trial and error. This is what I have done so far:

1 gallon recipe:
10- 8oz containers of baby food (80 oz total)
<I used "tropical" which is guava, pineapple, mango, apple, passion fruit>
water to 1 gallon (about 10 cups)
sugar to SG of 1.090-1.100 (about 3 cups)
1 pkg yeast
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/8 tsp tannin
1 tsp bentonite
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1/4 tsp acid blend
1 campden tablet (crushed)

I dissolved the bentonite in about 2 cups of warm water first, then added all other ingredients except yeast & nutrient and let sit for 24 hrs. Then the yeast and nutrient were added.

My starting SG was 1.100 on 9/19/11
I just checked it about an hour ago and it is at 1.050
I will probably rack it to my secondary tonight or tomorrow am when it reaches 1.030 ish
Then I plan to just let it sit and figure out if I will need another fining agent after sitting a month or two...

any suggestions I am open, like I said this is only my 4th batch of wine I have tried so far and the first batch that is completely my own recipe. The others I just took bits and pieces from other recipes that I read online.

So I am still a newbie when in comes to wine making, but thought that this would be a great idea. People use fruit puree, which is exactly what baby food is with out additives. I priced fruit puree (49 oz about $20) versus baby food (62 oz about $5) and decided to go for it!

I used Gerber tropical fruit flavor, sugar, etc to SG 1.090

I just started a 1 gallon batch today so will update as I go along...

Gerber tropical fruit might make a good wine...

imagine using strained peas or something? lol :s

The best part is you can drink this wine without putting your teeth in.
monkey4.jpg

I think I might try this. Just a reminder for those who may have little ones around, just get the nipple on the right bottle
LOL

If you do try this wine, I would use less baby food... I ended up with a ton of lees and not much wine. Other than that it turned out well!

That sounds awesome!! I have leftover babyfood as well, and am just getting into this wine making stuff. I haven't made any yet, still researching to learn more first, but this is a great idea. So, how much babyfood would you say to use then?

How did the flavor fare? Did it stay close to the original? I remember eating Gerber Chiquita Banana as a snack when I was 18 because that stuff is SO GOOD! You might be on to something here!

What about using it to backsweeten? I would think that it cut down on the lees. Not too sure how hard it would be to clear, though.

Latest posts

Back