General question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LA-BOY

Reaction score
I racked my blackberry over from it's primary ferm. on may 1st with a sg. of 1.020. What is my next step as far as racking/sweetining/ time line etc... This is a 3 gallon batch and I have already strained the pulp/seeds. It fermented like crazy, after I racked it over to the secondary. Thanks in advance for the input. I also bottled 18 bottles of my maiden batch of welches grape today and it tastes great. Not too sweet and not too dry, my sister in law thinks it tastes like a premium grape wine she has been drinking for years. That hand corker is the stuff, I was a litttle worried, but, after boiling the corks they went in great. LA-BOY/ MILLER TIME......

Your next step is to let it finish fermenting. Once you have a stable reading 3 days in a row with your hydrometer you can safely say its done fermenting. From that point you should degas, stabilize with K-meta and K-sorb, and backsweeten (if you prefer).

LA-BOY said:
I racked my blackberry over from it's primary ferm. on may 1st with a sg. of 1.020. What is my next step as far as racking/sweetining/ time line etc... This is a 3 gallon batch and I have already strained the pulp/seeds. It fermented like crazy, after I racked it over to the secondary. Thanks in advance for the input. I also bottled 18 bottles of my maiden batch of welches grape today and it tastes great. Not too sweet and not too dry, my sister in law thinks it tastes like a premium grape wine she has been drinking for years. That hand corker is the stuff, I was a litttle worried, but, after boiling the corks they went in great. LA-BOY/ MILLER TIME......
Please dont boil your corks you will degrade them. All you need to do is buy #8 corks. These are sold for those who have a hand corker. Floor corkers can use #9 corks

I use #9 corks with my hand corker with no problem what so ever! I do put the corks in K-Meta solution (5 at a time) as I cork. I haven't broken or cracked a bottle yet in almost a thousand bottles.

hannabarn said:
I use #9 corks with my hand corker with no problem what so ever! I do put the corks in K-Meta solution (5 at a time) as I cork. I haven't broken or cracked a bottle yet in almost a thousand bottles.

Just1,000 ?
LOL !
smiley32.gif

We'll lets see, after working a kjillion hrs at work, baseball practice for the kids, refin. the house, cutting yards extra for fishing money, and a pile of other things. I forgot to buy a tube tester to check the sg of my blackberry. It is a 2-3 gallon batch in a 5 gallon carboy, so testing the sg is impossible without siphoning out alittle. Anyway,this is the 20th of april and the wine is still fermenting in the secondary. I heard it today bubbling away about every 1-2 mins. Do I need to wait until it finishes all together or can I wait a few days until I can get atesting tube to check the sg. I may need t sweeten this batch. The secondary rack was 1.020, What aprrox. should my ending sg. be. thanks for any input as the first batch of weches grape has a affect on my motor functions...............

I think you will be fine as the active fermentation will protect your blackberry wine with a blanket of CO2.What was your starting gravity?  If you went too high you may have finished at 1.02 like your last reading was. We won't know until you get your test tube and take a sg reading.

Latest posts

Back