Gasses question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catfish

Reaction score
I bottled my concord the other day. I started it in September. It worked for a long time because I added a lot of sugar but it stopped bubbling a few months ago. It was in the carboy for almost 6 months. Popped open a bottle today. It had air in the bottle when I opened it. Put a cork back on. Shook it up. Same thing. Lots of bubbles too. :slp

Does this stuff have the possibility to blow up on me? It taste fine so I'm not worried about it being bubbly other than I really don't want a glass to blow up on me or the wife.

Did you degass it?

If not - you are probably experiencing the release of some CO2.

It could eventually push the cork out and make a mess.

No this was my first time making wine. I figured it would of been degassed after 6 months in the carboy. Guess I was wrong. I definitely wont make this mistake again.

The bottles have been corked and sealed. If there is a chance of them blowing up then I will take action but if they wont blow up I'll just drink em fast. 20 of them will be getting opened March 19th at our wedding reception.

Did you degass it?

If not - you are probably experiencing the release of some CO2.

It could eventually push the cork out and make a mess.

DITTO,
All wine should be degassed. How many times did you rack this. Was this fresh juice or a kit?

No this was my first time making wine. I figured it would of been degassed after 6 months in the carboy. Guess I was wrong. I definitely wont make this mistake again.

The bottles have been corked and sealed. If there is a chance of them blowing up then I will take action but if they wont blow up I'll just drink em fast. 20 of them will be getting opened March 19th at our wedding reception.
If you plan on having this at your reception tell them to decant or open the bottles at least 20 min before serving.

I agree with Tom, open 20 minutes early. When you shake the bottle up and release your thumb do you get a pssst or just bubbles. If you get the psssst do as Tom suggested and drink them up early. Your wedding is only a week a way so drink it and have fun. Good luck to you and your bride.

tip; probably not a good idea for the bride to open any of these bottles in her wedding gown.

Fresh juice. Racked it twice. Yes it makes the psss sound. Like a soda.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll make sure the bottles get opened 20 minutes before guest arrive.

I was thinking about keeping 2 bottles for our 1 year anniversary. Might uncork them and degas them then re cork.

have you tasted it yet?? You better before you serve it

Yep taste very good. Had a few friends over and shared a bottle. I'm really surprised it turned out good I figured I'd mess it up some way or another.

Yeah - like said above - just decant it before hand - and let sit - that will get the CO2 released.

Latest posts

Back