Fruit wine 2 years in carboys

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1evoldog

Junior
Reaction score
I have a few carboys of mango and kiwi wine which were fermented and supposed to be bottled in 2012 that are still sitting - some racked twice, I think, and some still on the lees. I've kept the airlocks "vodka'd-up", but never added anymore potmeta after the initial 1/4 tsp. per carboy.
Plus, a couple of the carboys are nowhere near topped up - I gassed them @ last rack over 2 years ago - and that lasts about 10 days, I understand.
I guess I have a couple of questions:
1. Was the 1/4 tsp. potmeta enough to protect at least the topped up carboys for the last 2 years?
2. If so, should I add another before bottling, and if I do, how long will it affect the taste of the wine? (if it's going to affect the taste for a while, I may only add to what bottles I think will be stored for some time)
3. What are the odds of the not topped up ones still being salvageable, and is there anything that can be done to "rejuvenate" it if not?

From the same time period, I also started a batch of papaya, which was fermenting under airlock in a lidded 5 or 6 gal. bucket/primary, and it was never racked and the lid has not come off, and I've kept vodka in the airlock.
Any idea what I'll find when I remove the lid, and could there actually be any hope forrthe batch?

What's done is done. Taste it. If it is fine, then hit with k-meta and bottle. If not, then maybe turn it to vinegar.

They are probably fine. What do they taste like?

Haven't tasted any of it yet...was hoping to get all the questions I posed answered before letting air hit any of it, including the papaya, so I'd be ready to immediately take whatever action needed, based on what I asked.

Well, there's nothing to be done until you taste it.

1. Was the 1/4 tsp. potmeta enough to protect at least the topped up carboys for the last 2 years?

The SO2 will not last 2 years, but that doesn't mean the wine will be bad. Wine lasts for some time sealed in a bottle, so in an untouched carboy it is likely to be ok too.

2. If so, should I add another before bottling, and if I do, how long will it affect the taste of the wine? (if it's going to affect the taste for a while, I may only add to what bottles I think will be stored for some time)

YES, add more sulfite before bottling. You should not be adding so much that it affects the taste. Protect it all!

3. What are the odds of the not topped up ones still being salvageable, and is there anything that can be done to "rejuvenate" it if not?

If it's oxidized, it's oxidized. You can drink it oxidized or dump it - your choice. There's nothing you can do to un-oxidize it. Chances are if it wasn't topped up, there has been some oxidation. It still may be drinkable.

So - - - taste it and decide if you want to keep it. If you keep it - add sulfites.

Last edited:
That's great, thanks! So it's time for a taste test...if I haven't reported back in 3 or 4 days, send out the cadaver dogs!!! :ts

BTW...anyone had any experience similar to the papaya, that stayed in the fermenter for 2 years?

I just checked my notes, and it appears I split the batch between 2 primaries, and was short on secondaries until I bottled some kiwi (which never happened), so I only racked one papaya primary into a 6 gal carboy and it only filled up to the bottom of the shoulder and gassed (I thought this was a kiwi until now), which is how it has stayed for 2 years.

The other primary, still with must bag (according to my notes), has sat unopened for 2 years. This is where, at least for clueless ME, the guessing begins.

Very worst case scenario I would think would be that the high ratio of fruit (as opposed to just the lees in one that has been racked) could have overpowered the alcohol and k-meta and left nothing but a moldy blob in its wake.

Otherwise, I would think it would be subject to the same principles as the other batches racked and sitting for 2 years - primarily oxidation issues.

In that vein; I may have peeked at it towards the end of fermentation, but if not, is it possible that the fermentation process used up all the O2, and being under airlock, may actually not have been affected by oxidation, at least not relative to it not being topped up - if there is no O2 present, topping up should not be an issue, not unlike it being covered with a layer of gas.

Besides the "moldy blob" and "oxidation" scenarios, I would think there could be issues with the must bag remaining in for so long and making it bitter.

Best case scenario is it has as good a chance as those already racked, and if all are oxidized and this one is extra bitter, I'll blend them all together, watering down the bitterness of this one, but with the bitterness maybe masking the limp taste from oxidation in the others! Can you tell I HATE the thought of having to pour out 25-30 gallons of alcoholic beverage, no matter how shitty it tastes? :m

Sooooo, I'll open the floor up to guesses on the state of the papaya in the primary, and whomever guesses the closest, gets first sip!! :s

Sorry, can't help with what it's gonna look like. I just want you to put up a picture here of the insides for future reference!!!:r

My guess is that it will be a moldy hell hole. But I have been wrong before.

In all seriousness, it probably won't taste fruity has it been sitting on the gross lees for all this time. If it does not taste like satan's anus, I would wager that it will likely be very tannic with some yeasty characters.

Latest posts

Back