Fruit Scraps Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericonthehill

Reaction score
I noticed I had more than a gallon of sliced apples from last season still in the freezer, along with 3/4 gallon of Mulberries coated in sugar. The apples looked to be getting frost to them, so I decided to see if I could make a wine out of the bunch. I let all of the frozen fruit thaw in a muslin bag, in my primary. Added water to help it thaw, and keep the air off of it. Once thawed I added a jar of Applesauce, and a can of Cherries. (Neither had perservatives)

Primary ferment went pretty quick, strained off all pulp and placed in secondary, now under airlock. We'll see how it turns out. Smells good. My only concern is if the freezer burnt apples may affect the final taste. We will see. If all turns out well, I'll have a great use for all of the fruit that my kids fail to eat. I can just cut and freeze it until the time comes.

Freezer clean out wine is a favorite for many of us. The interesting thing is no batch is the same from year to year. I have been known to throw in any jelly/jam in my refrig, check my pantry while I am at it, etc.

I haven't done much with this. I haven't even recorded the recipe or dates of the steps I've taken. I bottled it today to free up my gallon jug for my plum wine and this fruit scraps wine is actually pretty good. Should really be interesting once it gets some time under it's belt!

Latest posts

Back