Frozen Plum ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casper

Reaction score
Can I freeze plum for a couple weeks and make wine with them. I heard we should not freeze fruits from tree

Sorry Casper, seems no one knows this one but I know you can freeze crab apples as Ive seen recommendations for this on a few forums but have never heard of anyone freezing a plum. Not that it cant be done just dont know if its good for that particular fruit.

Go ahead and freeze them. It's just going to make them mushy when they thaw. We've frozen apples for wine and it seemed to do them no harm. The worst thing that I can see happening is that it will break down the cell structure. We freeze choke cherries and that works out great!

I'm sure there are people here that know more about this then I do. But the recipe book I use recommends freezingall the fruit. It said that it breaks down the fiber and extracts more juice and flavor per pound. I don't know why it wouldn't work for plums also. I freeze everything that I use.

I have frozen plums before. I have a batch of plum going right now that had the plums frozen since last year. I haven't noticed anything different about the process. I always stock up on fruit in the summer, so I have no choice but to freeze it.

I am picking up those plums this afternoon and I have no choice to freeze them, I am going at sea for the next 2 weeks.

Thank you very much for the replies.
smiley1.gif

Do your prep work on the fruit before you freeze them though. Wash, trim and weigh them, so that when you take them out of the freezer all you need to do is open the bags and drop them into the bucket. We try to write the weight on the outside of each bag so we always knowhow muchisin them. Poor Bert and I are getting a bit old to retain that type of knowledge.
smiley5.gif

I trimed them and put the skin in an other bag, I have for 26 Lbs of plum. Dop you recommend to add the skin in the must ?

The skin wont hurt and might give it some tannins for body. Not sure if plum skins are like grape skins but I would say throw them in.

Must be kinda like when my boss says that WE need to get this job done!

3_7_1.gif

I would throw the skins in with the plums. I don't know if they add tanin, but I have used the skins before..

I wil take your advise and put the skins with the must.
I have so many wines to start when I come back from sea; Blackberry, Blackberry Port, Plum, Raspberry and some wine kits for blending. Can't wait.

Latest posts

Back