Fresh peach wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joan said:
Wow! Your peaches are early!

Joan,

In Texas, the summer heat ripens all the fruit earlier than elsewhere. This year, our peaches ripened in the first week of June and another tree ripened in the third week of June. The wine grapes ripen in late July and early August. But this year, we're just lucky to be staying above water, as we're about to set a new record for June rainfall. Will the skies ever clear?

I've been watching your weather situation and it looks horrible. I can't begin to imagine what that's like!

We are in the opposite circumstances here. We need rain badly. We haven't had a nice 3 day soaking rain this season and it is needed. Our local strawberries are small as a result but they are sweet as sweet can be because there's been no rain. If this trend continues, cherries, peaches, and apples will be small too. Cherries may be further damaged if we get rain as they are ready to pick in mid July. They will fill up and split! Potato farmers here are having to irrigate which is unheard of. They grow them on muck land which is a step up from swamp. The usual growing routine is to make sure ditches aredug and cleaned out so heavy rain water can drain. Not so far this year!

Extremes in weather = evidence of global warming. We are certainly having some extremes this summer.

Usually we are dry...this year we had over 9 inches in June...now this week we are into a drier pattern...so figure we might return to the dry times once again...

We had been so hot and the past two days have been bareable...today no wind and the mosquitoes are out with vengance...this is the first day that they have been a problem...usually the wind keeps them at bay.

We all wish the rains would just come regularly and not all at once....Just makes you realize you are not in control.

We have just had clouds and more clouds and an occassional afternoon burst. But at least it is keeping the heat down a bit. You guy who get hit with the heat and not used to it must be miserable but it isn't everlasting like it is here in Houston.

Ramona

my daughters nickname is peach So we have made several 5 gal batches of peach. Yes the bottles do take a while to clear just keep those air locks filled and it will be fine. Yes I have 5 gal batches that have taken 4 to 5 months to get to the bottle. And I have used bentonite and iching glass just like the kits to hassen the clearing process. This will cut the time alot.

pkcook; (I later made another 1 gallon batch just like this, but added .750L of Peach Brandy for a very nice peach port! I only have one bottle left that I am trying to put at least a year on before I open it. I will make another batch of the port!)

I have 5 gallons of peach I'm working on, correct me if I'm wrong, but you added to the one gallon batch .750L of Peach Brandy and then bottled it? I plan and doing some experimenting with this 5 gallon batch too, and am looking for the right options.
1. Adding the Peach brandy for a port at bottling? Right?
2. after 5-7 days rack, then rack in three weeks adding 100% peach juice to sweeten and/or to top off; then racking every six weeks topping off with the peach juice, until fermentation does not restart with the addition of sugar

Not for sure if I'm right in doing this, but have been reading up on some different recipes. Hoping to get a nice "Peach" wine, but not to sweet. What do you think?Edited by: jsmahoney

Latest posts

Back