Freezing temps in Ga.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThePlantGuy978

Muscadines And More
Reaction score
Here in Dalton, Ga. it was down to 5 deg F. yesterday morning, high of 22. Right now at 6:23 AM it's 11.

Highly concerned about my Muscadines. I do have 20 or so new ones that I potted up and stored in the basement. At least they will be safe.

Could not mulch them in time. The mulch was already frozen solid. Guess we will find out how hardy they really are???

Hans

Good luck with those muscadines. I see Charlotte, NC area went down to 6, my step-son lives outside of there and has a muscadines growing in his backyard. 1/2 of it is Carlos and I understand they are suppose to be able to take temps down to 0, the other 1/2 is noble and I am not too sure on what temps they can go down to.

I grow muscadines in Southeast Missouri. Mine are sure getting a cold hardiness test this year. When I got some Majesty vines from the University of Florida, I told them it would be a good test of their cold hardiness

Looks like the near 0 deg. weather is over for mow here in Dalton, GA. It will be close to 60 by the week end. Since it is safe for now, today I move my containered muscadines back out side, hopefully for the rest of the winter. I do have to plant them ASAP.

Hans

Good luck plant guy what type muscadine vines?I have golden I have had for 5 plus years rememeber vine sex I planted and had to replant to polinate.
I live in West Georgia 54 hours below freezing ponds stilled iced over!

Plant Guy - I've had muscadines in Missouri for 5 years, I think. This is the worst winter in 5 years, but I believe my muscadines had zero or near zero weather last year and none died from cold weather. I have 13 varieties, so if there are varieties that are less cold hardy, I haven't managed to plant any.

It's 62 at 6:39 AM

Plant Guy - I've had muscadines in Missouri for 5 years, I think. This is the worst winter in 5 years, but I believe my muscadines had zero or near zero weather last year and none died from cold weather. I have 13 varieties, so if there are varieties that are less cold hardy, I haven't managed to plant any.

Thanks for the hope.
I now have 17 different varieties.
I grow mine for cuttings not fruit and sell my rooted cuttings through out the Southern states. I can't ever keep them long enough to sell mature plants.
My website is: www.MuscadinesAndMore.com

Have a great day

Hans

Latest posts

Back