Freezing Fruit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geocorn

Vendor
Reaction score
When freezing your fruit for later batches, do you add any ascorbic acid to reduce browing?

If you freeze whole fruit, I don't think it would do any good.....If you cut it up, I don't know....never have tried it with stuff I was freezing...

I add it to Peaches, Plums but not to Muscadines, Blueberries, Elderberies or Blackberies. Any fruit prone to browning should be treated

Waldo -

How much do you add for lets say a gallon-sized Ziploc bag of frozen fruit?

- Jim

I know with wine you use 1 tsp per gallon. Do you sprinkle it on every pce. of fruit when freezing or do you freeze it as a liquid?

I freeze mostly berries and cherries and some other fruit for wine before steam juicing and never treat the fruit....

I think if you would cut up apples, peaches, etc....I would just spray them with K-meta solution...I think Bert and PWP might spray theirs, someone said that once..?

Otherwise like Wade, add it when you thaw them out.

For peeled/cored/sliced apples for pies and apple crisp I have just either left them alone, or splashed some lemon juice on them....Both are fine.

Edited by: Northern Winos

I use probably around 1-1-1/2 tsp per gallon. I dont do precise measuring. I just open the bottle and sprinkle it in. My fruit has already been cut up too because I de stone the peaches and plums before i freeze them

I've been freezing my fruit for years now and don't add the Meta til the fruit goes in the primary. I also destone fruit and slice up before putting it in gal. freezer backs. I put four pounds of fruit in each bag because most recipes call for that much fruit per gal.

Latest posts

Back