Forgot to stir the juice before adding the yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bre13lee

Junior
Reaction score
im super new to wine making and mis-read the instructions on my wine kit. I forgot to stir the juices well before I addded my yeast...... The kit says not to stir for 48 hours now and im worreid the yeast wont have enough sugar, since it looks like its all sitting at the bottom. Will my wine be ok or will the yeast die. not sure what to do please help

I'm a little new to this too.... but I think the yeast will find your sugar regardless of where it is. The issue is - did you take an initial SG reading? If you took that reading without stirring, you're probably going to be a little off as far as far as your initial SG. Stirring will give you 1/100 additional SG points, more or less.... (1.080 instead of 1.090 for ex.)

Last edited:
Stir it. Worst case scenario is you have to add a second packet of yeast. Make sure that the yeast all finds its way back into the juice and does not stay on the side of your primary fermenter,or on your spoon.

Back