Forgot to rinse of sterilization solution!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

Vik20

Junior
Reaction score
I'm still new to winemaking and made a dumb mistake.

I washed, then sterilized my wine bottles. I poured the solution out of the bottles, but I forgot to rinse the bottles again with plain water. Then I bottled my wine in these bottles. The wine tastes okay. But are there any risks to having trace amounts of sterilizing solution in the bottles? Do I have to dump it all out?

:(

Sacalait

Reaction score
You're probably just fine but what did you sterilize with? If you used a K-meta solution then you're fine, in fact that's the method I sometimes use. Besides, I don't think you would be using anything toxic to sterilize with.

Vik20

Junior
Reaction score
I used 50 mg of sodium metabisulphite and water. Is that the same thing as K-meta?

Thanks

Vik

cpfan

Reaction score
K-meta is potassium metabisulphite, but they are basically the same thing.

How much water?

Steve

jackmcmanus21

Junior
Reaction score
you should be alright....I'm sure if there were any negative effects from it you would have known by now

Wine Maker

Rocco
Reaction score
If I am bottleling 20+ bottles of wine I give the bottles a quick rinse in sanitizing solution and then let drain but if I am only doing a few bottles I rinse and simply shake out any excess. The little sanitizing solution that remains should not do any harm to your wine.

Latest posts