Forgot Potassium Metabisulfate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nursejohn

Reaction score
I have a question. I am new at home winemaking. I just recently bottled my first batch (White Zinfandel). A few days after bottling the wine, I realized that I forgot to add the 1/4 tsp of K+ Metabisulfate to my wine prior to bottling it. Will this harm my wine or cause any problems? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, nursejohn.

i have minimal expertise, but about 10 years of kit making experience. i think the answer is probably not, but you will know when you drink it. perhaps a slightly effervescent sensation on drinking from malolactic in bottle fermantation? i'm sure the experts can give you more certain guidance. i would not worry about being poisoned. you might get vinegar. why not let us know what happens, as ijust did the same thing with a 5 gallon batch of chenin where i forgot the campden tablets, and i'm going to bottle as soon as it clears, which it sems to be doing nicely. i hate getting old and forgetful.too many "doh" moments.

my opinon:

no effort way -
drinking early will save the day...anything longer and you chance spoilage (but wine CAN last w/o protection - the odds favor spoilage however)

effort way -

de-cork, add appropriate amount and guarantee no spoilage

last year i did part of my wine without any protection and it was fine for the entire year that i expected it to last, but if i was considering aging at all then i would protect it

If you made it from a kit and followed their direction I would say you are OK. Reason is you probably added it just a few weeks prior to bottling.

Like what Al said ..DRINK IT..
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

If you added all of the sulfite that came with the kit then you will be fine. You really only need to add additional sulfite before bottling if you plan on cellaring the wine for a couple of years or more. White Zins are early drinkers, so you will probably consume it all this year. No worries.

Thanks for the replies. I feel better about my White Zin now! My wife and I were so proud of our first batch and glad to hear that I didn't goof it up. We are currently working on a batch of Gewurztraminer. I hope some of you are going to be at Winestock this year, I would like to ask questions to people who have been doing this hobby a while. We are really enjoying trying our hand at this. Thanks again, nursejohn.

Latest posts

Back