Force carbonating

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You must have pin lock kegs. If it don't have a relief valve unhook the gas IN side and depress the poppet with a screw driver. Make double sure it is the gas in or you will get a face full of beer. 5 foot of 3/16" line really ought to be about right although every system is different. All my taps have around 5 foot of line on them. After I get to the volumes of CO2 I want I unhook the line, vent the keg then dial the CO2 down to 3-5 psi or so for serving. If you try to serve with too high psi it is gonna foam. I made that mistake at first. I tried to serve at 30 psi.

xanxer82 said:
Beer seems a lot more involved than wine. good luck with the carbonation :)

I am learning the kegerator systems.......

Don't let it discourage you xanaxer............. Being able to drink fresh beer within two - three weeks is pretty damn cool.................

smurfe said:
You must have pin lock kegs. If it don't have a relief valve unhook the gas IN side and depress the poppet with a screw driver. Make double sure it is the gas in or you will get a face full of beer. 5 foot of 3/16" line really ought to be about right although every system is different. All my taps have around 5 foot of line on them. After I get to the volumes of CO2 I want I unhook the line, vent the keg then dial the CO2 down to 3-5 psi or so for serving. If you try to serve with too high psi it is gonna foam. I made that mistake at first. I tried to serve at 30 psi.

Yep pin lock kegs...............

I'm gonna need a better psi valve to set the working pressure. Its in increments 5..............

I keep reg set at 8-10 psi with 8'-10' of hose and get a good pour. Follow Smurfes set up as hes been doing it longer then me. Ive just followed what I read on homebrewtalk and since I did this all has been good.

wow, at 3-5 psi my pour takes forever! I'm pouring closer to 12 psi. Perhaps my regulator needs calibration?

gaudet said:
Trav,

as far as overcarbonated, I'm not sure I'd know as I am a newbie at this. But I think the taste of the beer is pretty darn good. Time to pour another one
smiley1.gif

If it tastes good to you, that's all that counts right now!
smiley1.gif

smurfe said:
All my taps have around 5 foot of line on them. After I get to the volumes of CO2 I want I unhook the line, vent the keg then dial the CO2 down to 3-5 psi or so for serving. If you try to serve with too high psi it is gonna foam. I made that mistake at first. I tried to serve at 30 psi.

Wow, isn't that kind of a PITA? Wouldn't it be easier to just have longer beer lines so you can serve at your carbonation pressures rather than venting and dropping the psi, serving, then raising the psi back up?

Changed it out to 10 feet of 1/4 ID tubing and that seems to have done the trick for it. The head isn't near as monstrous as before. I was getting about 50% foam there. Anyhow, thanks a bunch to the experts that are holding my hands for this learning curve.

1/4" or 3/16" ? 3/16" is the standard! More back pressure is almost always the best way!

I get a great pour with the psi at around 5. I only vent the keg if I force carb at high pressure to get an immediate beer. If I set at line temp and let it set a couple weeks I don't vent. Guess I should of been a little more specific.

Also I forgot to add, I make a whole lot of Bitters and a carb psi of 3-5 psi isn't out of the ordinarily at all. I don't want top overcarb those. Many have 0.5-1.0 volumes CO2. I don't ever remember having to use higher than 12 psi though.

I double checked and its 1/4 id.....

Need to run to the supply store again. But it is working well right now. the foam has been reduced to acceptable levels.

Latest posts

Back