For your Review

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Genetically Modified Yeast for headach free wine?

http://www.decanter.com/news/wine-news/516944/canada-approves-headache-free-gm-wine-yeast

Canada approves 'headache-free' GM wine yeast

* Tuesday 22 February 2011
* by Hazel Macrae
* Be the first to comment

A strain of genetically modified wine yeast, said to prevent headaches, has been approved for use by Canada's health authorities.
yeast

Developed at the University of British Columbia and known by the trade name ML01, the genetically modified yeast is able to carry out malolactic fermentation at the same time as alcoholic ferment, reducing the risk of wine spoilage.

It also produces fewer allergenic bioamines - chemicals in wine that produce off-flavours and that can trigger headaches and migranes.

Food Biotechnologist Hennie an Vuuren, who heads up research into the use of GM yeast in BC, is currently seeking approval for its use from European authorities.

Approved by Health Canada for commercial use and now legal in the US and South Africa, ML01 has been commercially available since 2006, although is unlikely to be seen on labels due to concern over public reaction to genetic engineering.

Unlike the EU, US and Canadian labelling laws do not currently require producers to list the presence of GM ingredients.

i can't imagine having to get new information for the 100 gallon batches i do. we are doing some small batches and limited quantity items. a having to put a calorie and information label on it wouldn't be easy with all the other stuff. the article is wrong. we have to put alc/vol, bottler, bottle size, date bottled or vintage, gov't warning label (a paragraph) and a upc bar code if you go retail. now this is for a federally bonded type winery, which i am. state regulated wineries are more lax. means you have to use a larger label and have a lab figure out what's all in it. you don't see all the restaurants serving up their calories on the menus! some do, but you think all the mom and pop places want to do it? i'm all for being in shape and knowing what's in something, but alcohol is not something i look for information on. it's not like we are putting some of the stuff they are in other foods. it's much more basic than other segments of the food industry. also, people themselves cannot figure how much calories they can intake unless they actually know how many they burn. easiest way to know you either eat too much or don't exercise enough, hop on a scale! lol

i like the idea of fedex actually utilizing their abilities to help ship wine. that said, we will be looking into shipping options, but only after seeing what kind of foot traffic we'll see. we only have 1 full-time person working, my father. i have a full-time job on top of winery duties.

Last edited:
Now I have seen everything...this is amazing

it shows you also how wet your ground can be!!!!!

Floating vineyards
Thailand
zbtaj1.jpg

Thailand started their adventure with the production of wine very recently, at the end of the eighties of last century. Initially, they were rather drink coolers based on grape juice , wine production as such, only started about 10 years later. Most Thai vineyard is located fairly high in the mountains, which allows cultivation in moderate temperatures, despite the fact that it is an area between the fourteenth and eighteenth parallel (Most wineries in the world is located between thirty and fifty). The most fameous, however, became lowlands, exotic floating vineyards., which can be found at the thirteenth parallel. (Exactly 13.2 N), about five metres above sea level.

Floating it's a bit of exaggeration really. It's true they get flooded regularly, but their floating, is anly illusion. Samut Sakorn Vineyards are located in the Chao Phraya Delta, between the rivers Tacheen and Meklong a mere 60 kilometres from the Bankok. It is the oldest and largest wine region in Thailand. Nearly 10 000 hectares of vineyards is grown here in a very unusual way. The grapevines are planted in rows on the oblong islands separated from each other with very narrow channels. Employees move between them on a long narrow boats. Vineyards are conducted(formed) in a pergola. To pick the grapes you have to stand up and pick the prapes hanging above your head. Since this is tropic, and the air temperature during the day is growing very rapidly (Average temperature is 28-35 ° C), the time of harvest is limited to early morning. Grapes are arranged in baskets, and these are transported by boats to Siam Winery, beeing the largest winery in south-east Asia. (In other vineyards throughout the country elephants remain the most popular way of transport) For this vineyard there were two table grape varieties chosen: Malaga Blanc and Pokdum ( the second one is a red grape variety traditionally grown in Thailand. I suspect it's not a nativ asiatic grape but a labrusca hybrid because in wine you can find a light foxy note), mainly due to their resistance to fungal diseases (both have very thick skin on fruit).

Grape picking is carried out twice a year, winter and summer. The plants grow without interruption and if they wouldn't be trimmed at a specific time, year-round they would have flowers and fruit at the same time, each bunch of grapes would ripe in different time and wine production would be impossible. After the harvest, all the leaves are pulled off by hand and plants get cut. Grapevines grow here in very humid conditions and on the extremely fertile soil, which forces very severe pruning. After four to six months leaves begin to appear again and the next growing season begins . Unlike in moderate climate,the first harvest in the young vineyard is possible already after a year, and it's life expectancy vary between 5 nd maximum of 8 years. The maintenance of dykes, it is cumbersome as well, they must be continually strengthened, since at the time of rain the soil is washed away.

Actually it seems that , all the rules of vinegrowing were put upside down here. But they manage to produce wine . OK, they wouldn't probably impress too much someone coming from the western world, but the goal is not to compete with the most famous world's cru but to make wine that goes well with the local cuisine. And this, as it comes to the pairing with wine, is not the easiest. Filling, aromatic, usually very hot. Lots of fish, seafood, coconut milk, nuts, basil, coriander, lemon grass, galanga, limes and chili. And chili again. That's why the are light, dry and not too acidic on European standards. They must be like that, because the higher acidity would put an accent on sharpness of chili. The local wine softens it, while developing a pleasant aromas of peaches, apricots and water melon. This when it comes to white wine. (Wines made from Pok Dum variety have additionally that foxy note characteristic for the vitis labruska's hybrids , which unfortunately despite my best efforts I am not able to get to like.) Recently in sales the 2547 vintage come out. Yes, it's not a mistake. Buddhist calendar, in force in the kingdom of Thailand counts time since Buddha's birth, and he was born in 543 BC. That is vintage 2547 corresponds to our 2006.

Siam winery produces as well wine more close to what the Europeans do like. That's why the series of wines Monsoon Valley was created. To produce they are using besides mentioned already grape varieties, Syrah , Muscat and Colombard grown in the mountains of the province of Nakhon Ratchasima, which are located north of the Bankok. Contrary to appearances, this is actually very important as over 70% of production is destined for export. Thai wine can be found in Asian restaurants around the world. This is caused by little demand for wine in Thailand. It's not surprising , earnings are very low, and the price of alcohol astronomical. Even tourists rarely buy wine here. The reason is taxes: approximately 200% for the localy produced alcohol, almost twice as high for drinks imported.Probably the highest in the world.

The idea of floating vineyard is far from new though. People tryied to grow grapes in the least favourable conditions already in antiquity. Strabo (63 BC-24 ne) described the vineyards that existed in Euphrates river area. Because the river has systematically caused flooding throughout the region, smart locals planted their grapevines on giant rafts woven from cane and covered with earth. Changes of water's level in the river no longer had any influence on the vineyard, which floated on its surface. Rafts were attached with the ropes tied to stilts stuck in the bottom of the river , in order to prevent flating vineyards into the sea.

I wonder with ground like that what the brix of the grapes will get to.

oddly enough i am not sure the brix is the issue..afterall they have heat and long growing season..in fact they have TWO growing seasons

oxygen to he roots is what i am wondering about...holy cow it must be wet soil

Yeah, I would think all that water would lessen the brix in the grapes but what do I know.

Wade have you heard that or read that before? That wet soil affected brix? i would be curious to know about that.... I would not doubt it at all what you say, it seems logical...i just assumed a less oxygenated root system affected overall growth to the point of stunted growth and the wine grape grower would never get to the point of thinking about brix because his vines were in decline

a couple of yrs back it rained each and every day here for 31 days....it was over seventeen inches total...right next to one greenhouse the run off kept things under water and within time the vines were more stunted and with a distinct lighter green color...oddly the grapes that yr were comparable to their counterparts that had not set in water

anyways the picture alone of the vines on islands w a boat full of harvest is a real eye opener.....i just never would have guessed this could be...after all the experts i have ever heard talk about on the subject of wet feet during the growing season is just a flat out no-no

i was in Oregon a few yrs back in the willamette valley and stumbled along a vineyard and asked him about his vines that were sitting in water at one end of the vineyard....the vines were dormant and he said that was the key

Ive read on many forums from people just like you growing grapes that their numbers dropped (some considerably) and that made them hold off from harvesting til the 3's came back. This was due to heavy rainfall as the plants take it in diluting the brix among others like TA. It happened very little with my currants last year.

somehow these folks have figured something out to keep the vines alive...they are not seeking to compete w global wines..just something to go w their own food and region...sugar can always be added for brix...the miracle to me is the vines are not dying

for any west coast folks looking for some deals ..maybe this sale can be broken up
Title:
Wine Shop & Wine Bar Liquidation Sale
Date Posted:
Monday, February 28th
Company:
Tam Cellars and Wine Shop
Quantity:
Price:
Description:
A complete winebar, including sinks, high temp stemware dishwasher, ice maker, POS computer, refrigerator, etc. plus retail wine racks, retail checkout counter with POS computer. Also, lots of Metro racks: 3, 4 and 6 feet long 14" deep, 5 shelves, 7' tall. We also have pub tables and bar stools and other living room type furnishings.

Call Peter at 415-254-1660 to make an appointment to see what's for sale.
Contact Information:
Tam Cellars and Wine Shop
Peter Lea
PH: 415-254-1660

I havent read the whole thread yet but just watched video..

My favorite wine is cab sav. My personal favorite bottle is Root's from Chili.. Ive never been a fan of california wines at all.. I enjoy french, south african, chillian, and agrentina wine best. I think over all they capture the true taste of the fruit best..

Thanks for reading my opinion..:D

Last edited:
Dirty Dog what do you think about that hit into the boards last week against the guy on the Canadiens?

that last link i posted is for free wine...the company is looking for taste testers...you have to jump thru some hoops but for some it may be an interesting thing to do

Hey Al, I guess thats why they call it ENDLESS SUMMER! hehehe, your right, its just not fair!

I think Chara wasnt intending to hurt him.. However both players should have been more aware of were they are.. He should have been given a one maybe two game suspention... Criminal charges are just laughable... What happens in sports, stays in sports unless attacking with weapons or something..

Was it dirty? No.. Was there intent? I dont think so.. Is it part of the game? Yes.. Stuff happens but Chara should have known were they where.. I could have been prevented

i know its old school to have the players jump over the boards on a shift change but the posts that hold the glass and where they start after the bench oe penalty box openings have always been an accident waiting to happen...and a serious one at that..and now we have it....look how long it took them to make the goal able to come easily off of its posts....that has saved a lot of people....something needs to be done about these glass posts as well...that poor chap that got hurt is in a real tough position in his life now

I am all for protecting the players, as long as it doesnt effect the game.. It is a very dangerous spot and they should figure out something.. All players need to be aware of where they are and where others are to help prevent things like this from happening again.. I like rough play, but never want to see a player taken off on a stretcher

there is a tv show called Sharks where some investors hear pitches for people w new ideas and young companies

last night they had a guy on that has developed a way to properly keep wine in a single serving clear cup that can then be sold at events....it is a patented process....interesting thing

company website

http://www.copadivino.com/index.html

tv show website

http://abc.go.com/shows/shark-tank

The article about $8 syrahs mentioned something called "mega-purple". Do some wineries really use dye in their wines to enhance color? I've wondered that for a while. Every now and then I'll get a syrah/shiraz that just dyes my teeth and lips purple(moreso than usual). Is that the mega-purple?