For Wade Alla hydrometer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wade this is what the Alla hydrometer looks like

I have that very same hydrometer! While it functions the same as the first hydrometer I had, that one feels a little sturdier and less likely to crack inexplicably. I believe the tube instructions for mine said it was calibrated at 60 degrees.

Great question, joebrady.

Wade we are going to warm up for the next 2 days starting tomorrow. The kitchen is the warmest room in our home. It is still very actively fermenting. I will add the rest of the dextrose tomorrow, half in the morning and the other half in the evening. SG this morning was 1.030.

I was looking at the ALLA web-site and it appears that some of their home wine-making hydrometers are calibrated at 60F and some at 68F. All the ones that I've seen in Canada are at 68F. On mine it says the calibration temp on the piece of paper inside the hydrometer.

Steve

Interesting Steve. I guess I will never know what mine is calibrated at...
But it brings up another point, they one in the photo on the one thread, does anyone know what temperature that one is calibrated at?

But it brings up another point, they one in the photo on the one thread, does anyone know what temperature that one is calibrated at?

I picked up one of these from Advantage in Hickory and I love it. Mine has the calibration temperature listed in tiny print at the bottom of the scale, close to the bulb. It's a 60F, but yours may be different.

Using these is no different than using any other hydrometer, the big difference is the colored scales that are easier to see and the fact that it does not use lead as a weight.

No idea Wade. It's some kind of greenish stuff with a white plastic plug which I assume is either non-toxic, or not as toxic as lead. They're made in France and there has been a big push within the EU to minimize lead exposure (RoHS).

At the rate I break hydrometers, I should be able to tell you what's inside this time next week or so!

Sammy...

did you look at the paper INSIDE the hydrometer? Not the instructions that you didn't get.

Steve

Latest posts

Back