For Wade Alla hydrometer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The blue area is marked desert wines and the orange area is marked beer.

Never seen one of those before!!! Personally I like the Thermohydrometer. You get the temp and the sg all at once! Its a few $ more but worth it.

Never seen one of those before!!! Personally I like the Thermohydrometer. You get the temp and the sg all at once! Its a few $ more but worth it.

I agree - i have one as well - very nice for telling the temps of the must..

It did not come with any instructions and the jerk at the one supply store (we don't go there any more) did not have time to explain how it works.

I suppose for some one who is not a noob, it would be easy to figure it out.

Thermohydrometer I will look for one when we go back to the wine supply store.

I have a thermometer used for ponds in mine right now and easy to read- it was brand new but I did sterilize it.

Must is reading 72 as of a few minutes ago.

Must is reading 72 as of a few minutes ago.
Presumably you mean 1.072.

BTW, I love that hydrometer. Since I switched to that brand/model and stopped washing/rinsing them in hot water, I have broken way fewer.

One thing to remember, that hydrometer is probably calibrated at 68F.

There should have been a piece of paper in the tube. Not the best instuctions (IMO), but at least something.

Now go to this thread, and see if the comments there help you.

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16574

Steve

No I was talking about temperature. Sorry, I guess I need to be clearer.

I did go to that thread and actually put the hydrometer like the one in the photo in the vial to get another reading. I have both kinds. There were no instructions in the box it came with the Alla. So I went and bought one like in the photo.

I did go to that thread and actually put the hydrometer like the one in the photo in the vial to get another reading. I have both kinds. There were no instructions in the box it came with the Alla. So I went and bought one like in the photo.
I hope you realize that there is no real difference between the two hydrometers, except that your ALLA has coloured ranges on the paper. ALLA also makes them without the coloured bands.

Steve

Brew and Wine Supply thank you for your kind offer.

I have 2 hydrometers, the Alla and the one in the photo on using a hydrometer.

I never used the Alla (because of no directions) but I have 2 batches going (not common for me). I usually do one at a time.

I keep the hydrometer in the primary so I put both to use this time.

When the Alla showed "beer" in the reading it did confuse me. So I sterilized them and reversed them in pails.

I now understand how the Alla works.

Yah, I did feel like a dummy.

A LHBS that doesn't have time for you is your first problem!!!
Glad you are not going there anymore.
Give your business to someone who has time for you and your questions.

I own my own business too and customer service is the utmost.
Too bad for him because we have since spent several hundred dollars at the LHBS that is farther to drive but very nice folks. In fact we are going back there tomorrow to get the Black Current kit and it is on the way to look at the supplies.

As customers we vote with our dollars.

There are many different versions of hydrometers out there. Mine shows the gravity, ABV and how much sugar is needed to raise gravity from one point to the other.

In time all you will need is the gravity as you will become familiar with the process and the other details will come to you naturally.

Ah but most noobs don't know that. I did not even know I needed a hydrometer when I first found the forum, let alone what it is. And my first wine was already started. The first LHBS should have asked if I had one!

Is 72* the temp of your Port kit because if so try to get that temp up somehow especially as this starts nearing the end. Like I said there arent many people out there that didnt have a problem with this particular kit but rest assured even if it does die a little early its still Damn Good!!!!!!

I guess you could. Off dry is usually like 1.002 - 1.005. Semi sweet is between 1.005-1.008 and then its sweet for a bit before hitting dessert style. Just remember to always go by taste and not just a #!

Latest posts

Back