For Northern Eyes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgecaprock

Reaction score
I was just thinking of how I can go outside and see redbud trees in bloom and green grass and flowers everwhere and thought of you all freezingin thebleak short days there. Just wanted to let you know this made me think of you.Ramona
<H2>Tropical Getaway is Steps Away </H2>

WHEN most of her neighbors are holed up in their houses during winter, Lisa V. of Peoria, Illinois escapes to the tropics—just outside her front door. “My husband and I constructed a simple greenhouse on our front porch to house my ever-growing collection of tropical plants,” she explains.

“We enclosed the porch with two layers of 8 mil clear plastic that’s held in place with a porch screening kit. We just substituted plastic for the screening material. Brackets on both sides of a two-by-four frame hold two sheets of plastic in place so that there’s an air gap between them. This air barrier helps insulate the greenhouse.

“Of course, the greenhouse also needs to be heated to protect the plants from our harsh Midwest winters. So we added a small furnace and adequate ventilation. Now our eight palm trees and pair of banana trees have plenty of room to spread, and I have even more space to expand my plant collection!”

BB10076C16B.jpg

Thanks for the pick-me-up!
smiley4.gif
It's still rather warm here but everything is pretty well ice covered. I'm thinking I might hit Mall of America next weekend while we're in the Twin Cities. Leave the coat in the car and just hang out in the center where there's loads of plants and natural light.

For some other winter fun be sure to check out the Name That Gathering in Texas under Forum Specials! You too could be the winner of a $100 gift certificate to The Wine Maker's Toy Store!

*Yes, the above was shameless advertising for the contest,
smiley9.gif
but I would hate for someone to miss a chance to win!*

Very nice idea Ramona! With a blue sky and sound effects of ocean waves, you might think that you're here.
smiley32.gif

Ahhhhh! Thanks guys....we will have to wait awhile for green in the trees and on the ground around here, but your thoughts and pictures are appriciated....MORE photos needed...Thanks!!!

Latest posts

Back