food saver degassing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sirs

just an oldman
Reaction score
WOW is all I can say I seen a video on degassing using a foodsaver so I thought(bad thing) I got one of those mini foodsaver things to use with ziplock bags so I go and just slide my airlock out of the bung and put the foodsaver thing over the bung's hole (didn't want to say bunghole LOL) and clicked it on and all I can say is wow there was like a ton of bubbles came up. I mean I would've never thought it.

it's one of the battery operated ones it doesn't pull that hard and I only use it on the smaller jugs

one question how much or how long should you degas your wine cause with one of these I think you could probly pull Co out for a long time

one question how much or how long should you degas your wine cause with one of these I think you could probly pull Co out for a long time

Well i pull about 15-16 inches of mercury for about 15 min.

mercury???? so you go till it starts to slowdown or till the bubbles quit cuase they are coming out alot

mercury???? so you go till it starts to slowdown or till the bubbles quit cuase they are coming out alot

I have a guage on my vacuum pump. Your pump will not go far. I leave it on untill all of the tiny bubbles that come to the top and foam quit coming. I always start out with spoon then go to the drill attachment. Start slow to avoid volcanos. Then I finish it off with vacuum pump.

If I detect a lot of gas I first rack to a primary bucket and add chemicals to stabilize. I use the drill mixer in the bucket and then Splash rack back to a clean carboy. Then I use the vacuum pump and add the fining agents when that is completed.

Latest posts

Back