Flooded Wine Safe?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Already dunked them in clorox before I read the most recent posts. Since they were only dipped and only the tip end of the cork was exposed I have little concern with taint from the clorox. It will evaporate in a very short time but it will sterilize the ends of the corks and keep any funk from growing there. Time will tell if I made a mistake. In the interim, I will make more wines. Thanks for the feedback.

Ya know, it's really easy to tell somebody else, off the cuff, to go to a lot of effort, just to be on the safe side, instead of analyzing the risks and probability of possible outcomes, and then figuring out what is truly necessary for Smokegrub to feel comfortable with the level of risk involved. Looking back at Smokegrub's comments, he did not ask what labor-intensive measures he should undertake, believing there was little or no risk since the bottles were well-corked. I agree with his assessment, and encouraging him to expose his wine to new bacteria and oxygen by re-corking is not doing him any favors, IMHO.

If the "solution" may create bigger issues than the original problem, what good is that?

What corks did you use for this batch, are they natural, partially synthetic or what?
Bart, the water that these corks might have gotten in contact with could be loaded with feces and the such. Toilets and everything were backed up and overflowing into the streets with all the sewage. This is why I personally would sanitize the bottle and the top of the cork, remove those corks, probably re sulfite the wine and then bottle and cork again but thats me1

wade said:
What corks did you use for this batch, are they natural, partially synthetic or what?
Bart, the water that these corks might have gotten in contact with could be loaded with feces and the such. Toilets and everything were backed up and overflowing into the streets with all the sewage. This is why I personally would sanitize the bottle and the top of the cork, remove those corks, probably re sulfite the wine and then bottle and cork again but thats me1

Boy I was thinking the same thing, just not worth getting sick over no matter how slim the chance. The ick factor is just to high for my tastes.

If the synthetic corks were the elastopolymer and not agglomerate, then no worries I expect. Soap and water and the already applied clorox should be fine. But I would scrub the outsides of the bottles and corks with soap and water, and maybe even sulfite them just to get rid of the ick factor.

Latest posts

Back