Floating grape bag?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpowell88

Reaction score
I have had a grape bag in the primary for bout 4 days and wanted to make sure this is normal. I have pushed it down morning and night and lightly stirred it around but it just comes right back to the top. Is this normal and ok? Thanks

Yep. Perfectly normal.

I do the same thing - punch down and stir twice a day.

It is normal as there is CO2 from fermentation of the skins trapped in the bag. I sanitize my hands with k-meta solution and squeeze the bag a couple of times a day. This gets rids of the gas and gets more of the goodness from the skins (taste, color and body) into the wine.

Don't be afraid to stir that bad boy! Oxygen is your friend in the primary. It's only your enemy in secondary and beyond.

Yep I do the same as rocky, squeeze it and get more of the goodness out.

When I bought my first kit, with grape bag, the woman at the store advised weighing it down with (sanitized) marbles. I did not, so the grape bag floats, but that's one suggestion that I may try in the future.

When I bought my first kit, with grape bag, the woman at the store advised weighing it down with (sanitized) marbles. I did not, so the grape bag floats, but that's one suggestion that I may try in the future.

It will float even if it is reasonably weighted down. There is such a huge CO2 build up in it that it will usually come back to the surface in a few minutes after it is squeezed and pushed down. Having said that, I always put a sanitized, heavy, large glass mug inside the grape pack. It keeps it down a few minutes longer than otherwise, but not for long.

Latest posts

Back