fliptop beer bottles for wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejiang

Reaction score
I got some fliptop beer bottles recently. I am wondering if I can use them for storing wine? If so, it will save a lot of corks and probably eliminate the need to lay down on their sides.

I am sure someone must have tried. What is the outcome?

Thanks

I use them for my cooking wines. I see no reason why they would not work for short term storage.

I've always thought they'd work good for things like skeeter pee or dragons blood, but i typically aim for the other end of the spectrum and those bottles wont work well for long-term aging

Personally I think it's far more elegant to use actual wine bottles. They're not that hard to come by, especially if you like drinking wine or know someone who works at a restaurant that serves wine. Or if you have family or friends who drink wine they will usually be happy to save bottles for you, especially if you give them bottles of homemade wine.

I use wine bottles with flip tops for mist type wines and they work fine for them - 7-8 months now and no degradation that I notice. I wouldn't use them for a wine I wanted to age.

Latest posts

Back