flavor addative

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

appleweld

Reaction score
im doing a strawberry experimental wine. 2 1/2 gal. im gonna try some different things to get the recipie just right. plan on making 24 gal when the strawberrys are ready in june. has anyone ever used the flavor addatives they sell here? right now the wine is in the final clarifing stage. ive added the k-meta and the isinglass. it has a really dry taste for a strawberry. id like to sweeten some with splenda or sugar or honey or all the above to see whats best. id also like to try the flavoring as well. ill probly bottle in 187,s to get as many options as possible. what are your thoughts.

Ditto and forget the flavoring, I've had much better using extracts and if you can get a pure extract all the better.

when i make simple syrup, can i use splenda? and is it one cup water, two cups sugar/splenda, and heat to dissolve. do i also add sorbate to the wine?

Can you make simple syrup using splenda? Splenda can leave off flavors in your wine. Yes you will need to add sorbate along with kmeta if you use sugar to help prevent refermentation.

dads a diabetic, so im worried about the sugar. even a glass of sweet tea isnt good. i hadnt thought about the splenda aftertaste though.

Maybe just put 1 gallon or 1 bottle "depending" aside and sweeten that with the Splenda for him.

i guess im just plain stupid. i never thought of that. thats perfect. besides, i dont expect he will drink every bottle.

I tried some apple flavoring in my first apple wine , but it left a metallic taste to the wine. I don't recomend flavorings . F-packs with fresh fruit are best IMO.

BOB

what aboutadding a f-pack but not sweetening the wine for your dad, have him add splenda by the glass? (to his taste)

Goodfella, What a great idea!
smiley32.gif

I would be nervous adding 2 cups splenda - when i made some jam with it, the normal recipe would call for 4 cups sugar,but only a few TBSP of splenda for that version.....and the splenda batch was MUCH sweeter!

It has an extremely concentrated flavor. I would use very little, if you are going to at all.

I experimented with flavorings last year. When they were young the taste was not popular, but with aging they were much improved. Apple flavoring added to the pear wine did wonders. I am still getting compliments about my pear wine.

That is interesting.

I am a bit suprised that your Pear needed flavoring. Did you do a f-pack? how many pounds of Pears per gallon?

I'm drinking my Pear from last year. Did a f-pac and taste is great

Latest posts

Back