Fish Farm Vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joan, don't they grow fast!? I have some almost coming out of the 30 inch grow tubes already that were planted about 3 weeks ago.Be careful with twist-ties. The wire inside them doesn't allow for growth and can girdle the stems. Tie them very loosely. The vines expand a lot during the year and when you start low and the plant grows you forget about the low ties and they can girdle the vines causing it's death the next year.

Thanks, Appleman. I check the twist ties all the time! I bought some of those 8" ones and have them very loose.

Still nothing green on the last Leon.
smiley19.gif

I'm double excited!!!! I have green buds on the 12th vine finally!!! And I found these when I was out watering this evening!!! Aren't they cunnin'?
smiley4.gif

20070617_175047_Muscat_June_17.jpg

Great news Joan. It should catch up fine. There is a runt in every litter. You may get a few clusters of blooms, but remember you are "supposed" to snip them off this year.
smiley19.gif
It's easier when they just don't get any the first year. Of course I won't tell the blooming patrol if you dont.
smiley2.gif

I know I need to snip them and I will! Honest! I know it's best for the vine! It sure was fun to see tho!
smiley4.gif

smiley19.gif
My grapes are snipped!

Worse than that?? I was out spraying my vines and just as I was finishing one a toad moved and I realized I'd gotten spray on him!!
smiley3.gif
I feel so bad!!!! He buried himself in the dirt. Poor toady.
smiley18.gif

This must be one you missed a few days ago when you snipped them. Pretty plain after all NW's flower pictures, aren't they? You should have lots in a couple more years. I visited a small vineyard that has about a thousand vines where most of them are three or four years old. A lot of them have some many clusters they need thinning. Looks to me like about 50 clusters per vine.

Have you seen Toady again yet? He should be fine after burrowing in the soil. The clay in the soil should act like chelates and remove the spray from him OK. Nature's critters are sometimes smarter than we give them credit for.
( che·lat·ed, che·lat·ing, che·lates

1. <LI>Chemistry To combine (a metal ion) with a chemical compound to form a ring.
    <LI>Medicine To remove (a heavy metal, such as lead or mercury) from the bloodstream by means of a chelate, such as EDTA. </LI>
)

No sign of Mr. Toad. Maybe that's a good thing!

I missed that one and a couple of others! They are gone now tho.

Next year can I leave one cluster on each of the strongest vine of each variety just to see them from start to finish?

That depends on the vigor of the vine this year and early next year and how hard of a winter we have this year. A few bunches is probably ok and if the vine is really vigorous you can leave some more. I have some I am leaving 10 bunches on this year that are very vigorous and I want to slow down a little. I'll post some pictures of some fairly soon with some on. I'm weeding again today, installing trellis wire and training some. It's amazing the variation that the vines exibit from variety to variety.

I was thinking the same thing, Appleman! The two white varieties look much hardier than the 2 reds. Is that common?

And why would you want to slow them down by letting the vines set fruit?
Edited by: Joan

Joan some whites are really vigorous and some reds are too. It depends on the variety and how well they grew last year at the nursery. Also- Why would you want to slow them down?

This year you want them to grow all they can to create food reserves in the stems and the roots. That helps them prepare for winter and eventually regrow next year. Next year however, they can really get going. If you want them to have buds every 3-four inches to keep the plant productive and under control, you don't want it creating so much growth that the nodes are 8 inches apart. Canes growing like that are called Bull Canes and aren't very productive. If the vine is twice as big as the rest next year and starts growing really fast, it needs the brakes applied to it to slow it down. By letting it form SOME fruit, you hold the vine growth in check some. Look for some pictures tomorrow when I get a chance to upload them to my post. I have some I am letting have 10 to 15 bunches because they are so vigorous. If the tendril growth slow too much on the tips, you can drop some bunches to motivate the plant to resume growth. Lots to it
smiley36.gif
But don't worry. They are hard to screw up if you keep the weeds out and the water to them this year.

I am watering and weeding!!! I need some serious hands on pruning lessons tho! My vines don't all look like the drawings in the books and I have no idea what I'm supposed to be pruning! I may have to make a road trip this fall and have you show me what stays and what goes!

This year the main thing is train the srtongest shoot to the pole. to keep it straight. Some don't want to prune at all in the first growing season to get all the root and cane stores they can and then prune in the spring(late winter). Maybe this fall would be a good time to visit and I can give you some of my limited prunung tips.

The Japanese beetles are eating my vines! I have some lacy looking leaves! I went out to check them a while ago and a bunch of them are swimming in a nice bath with a little Dawn in it!
smiley2.gif

While beetle hunting, I ran across this one. What is he and is he a good guy or should he be swimming with the beetles?

<div align="center">
Redbug.jpg

Wow, that baby casts some ugly shadow! It might be some kind of chafer- not necessarily good. It definitely is a beetle of some king. I would just get rid of it. Here is a guide you can look further in. I couldn't find it in ther, but a few look somewhat similar.

http://bugguide.net/node/view/60

I hope you can keep up with the Japanese beetles by hand. If not, simple sevin works wonder on them
smiley2.gif
5% Sevin dust is easy to apply and relatively inexpensive.

Latest posts

Back