First try

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gravity at 1.0000 today
It's pushed the lid off the fermenter a few times, anyone experience this?

I am still involved in reading and I seem to run across treads that get the [you posted in wrong tread] I am sure the people here are here to help, and have found this so, in my post so far, I have searched for[ how to post] and don't find any rules about it, I want to learn and not, be a mis-guided member. 70 years young here and not that much into messaging or forum facts, in fact I don't do all that tweet, other stuff, I do use email, but that is about my limits.

CUZN_J First I will say WELCOME!! Second, I would not worry to much about posting in wrong place. I been a member for a couple months and everyone has made me feel right at home! Great Bunch here!

Watermelon Strawberry.jpg
When I tried it and it went south there was no problem knowing it. It flat stunk. If yours still smells ok and you have been fermenting that long you are probably ok. When you get some alcohol in there I believe it helps keep things from going south.Good luck with it, Arne.

That is interesting, I made up 4 gal of must in a bucket 80% organic watermelon juice 20% frozen strawberry juice added 2 cups sugar, 4 tsp yeast nutrient, split it into 4 1gal jugs. Put different yeast in each as a experment. Now 3 days later the Red Star yellow (premier blanc) and Red star red (Montrachet) took off and the Lalvin EC-1118 and 71B are doing nothing! I wanted a low alc so I went SG 1.050 and ph is 4.1. Mine does not smell bad. Just cant get the lalvin to takeoff. The 2 Lalvin are on the Left in photo. Not sure what I did wrong.

Last edited:
Gravity at 1.0000 today
It's pushed the lid off the fermenter a few times, anyone experience this?

TimmyT I have never experienced such an aggressive ferment, but I have read a few posts on here where others have had it happen!

View attachment 48873

That is interesting, I made up 4 gal of must in a bucket 80% organic watermelon juice 20% frozen strawberry juice added 2 cups sugar, 4 tsp yeast nutrient, split it into 4 1gal jugs. Put different yeast in each as a experment. Now 3 days later the Red Star yellow (premier blanc) and Red star red (Montrachet) took off and the Lalvin EC-1118 and 71B are doing nothing! I wanted a low alc so I went SG 1.050 and ph is 4.1. Mine does not smell bad. Just cant get the lalvin to takeoff. The 2 Lalvin are on the Left in photo. Not sure what I did wrong.

SG readings? 1118 is low foaming, I've had some sneaky ferments where you think nothing is happening but it really is.

SG readings? 1118 is low foaming, I've had some sneaky ferments where you think nothing is happening but it really is.
SG 1.050 The wife basically wants a wine cooler so I went quit easy on the sugar. 3 days in I get the same 1.050 SG on both Lalvin 71B and 1118. Both Red Star are down to 1.030. Thanks
P.S. I checked this morning and the 1118 is now fermenting aggressively, Still nothing from the 71B.
Guess I just got impatient.

Last edited:
Back