First try

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First off, welcome to wine making. There are a lot of options here. I started with peach and watermelon. Then tried cherries, strawberries, dragon wine (raided the frozen fruit section at the store) and eventually did my first grape wine (a field blend) last year. Find a mixture that sounds good and go with it. If you don't like how turns out, figure out what you don't like, ask how to correct it and do it again.
I've been told watermelon is really tricky, keep me posted on how it turns out.

I wish there was a place to pick blackberry's here. I am itching
to make Blackberry wine! Blackberry's are quit expensive in the
stores here. I think my best option on Blackberry
is a concentrate or just buy a wine kit.

Last edited:
Already got the panty hose haha. Should be starting first batch Thursday night. Will post pics.

Awesome will enjoy the pics! I also would be interested in any info on Watermelon wine!

Last edited:
I wish there was a place to pick blackberry's here. I am itching to make
Blackberry wine! They are quit expensive in the stores here. I think my
best option on Blackberry is a concentrate or just buy a wine kit.
It's probably really expensive but i think a couple farms around here will ship fresh berries, I know they used to do it.

It's probably really expensive but i think a couple farms around here will ship fresh berries, I know they used to do it.

That would be nice!! There used to be a farm here that grew several
kinds of grapes and apples and would even press them into juice if you
ask them to. I would buy grape and apple juice by the gallon!

I have only used wild blackberries from our place and based on the few times I've tasted store bought blackberries, I'll take the wild berries EVERY TIME. Their flavor is much stronger (Commercial blackberries seem to be water bloated) and of course for me free.

I would suggest you try to find any wild berries patches in your area and compare them to store bought berries. I've not tried the Vintners Harvest Blackberry wine base but their Black Currant wine base has been great. (At least with a wine base you can decide how much water to add to that concentrated base.)

Hope you have some luck finding wild berries or at least someone with a blackberry patch of some high quality berries.

Thanks for the info, I was not aware of that and have been fermenting for about 3 days at 75 deg, so mine is most likely bad.

Thanks for the info, I was not aware of that and have been fermenting for about 3 days at 75 deg, so mine is most likely bad.
When I tried it and it went south there was no problem knowing it. It flat stunk. If yours still smells ok and you have been fermenting that long you are probably ok. When you get some alcohol in there I believe it helps keep things from going south.Good luck with it, Arne.

Welcome to WInemakingtalk.com.

Don’t be afraid to ask for help, that’s why we are all here, to learn from each other.

A simple kit is a good place to start.

But be forewarned, if you get those car boys wet they have a habit of multiplying.

is there a way to have personal email contacts, for asking more views and questions, I am afraid of asking things that might be wrong treads and then get the [oh no] you posted wrong.

is there a way to have personal email contacts, for asking more views and questions, I am afraid of asking things that might be wrong treads and then get the [oh no] you posted wrong.
Not sure if it is what you are looking for, but go to the top of the page and click on the envelope in the upper right corner. Don't have to worry much on here about folks saying you posted wrong. Most on here are here to help and try to answer questions. Arne.

When I tried it and it went south there was no problem knowing it. It flat stunk. If yours still smells ok and you have been fermenting that long you are probably ok. When you get some alcohol in there I believe it helps keep things from going south.Good luck with it, Arne.

That’s true, my smelled bad after about 36 hrs

Ask away, we’re all here to learn and help

Not sure if it is what you are looking for, but go to the top of the page and click on the envelope in the upper right corner. Don't have to worry much on here about folks saying you posted wrong. Most on here are here to help and try to answer questions. Arne.

Yep

I am still involved in reading and I seem to run across treads that get the [you posted in wrong tread] I am sure the people here are here to help, and have found this so, in my post so far, I have searched for[ how to post] and don't find any rules about it, I want to learn and not, be a mis-guided member. 70 years young here and not that much into messaging or forum facts, in fact I don't do all that tweet, other stuff, I do use email, but that is about my limits.

I am still involved in reading and I seem to run across treads that get the [you posted in wrong tread] I am sure the people here are here to help, and have found this so, in my post so far, I have searched for[ how to post] and don't find any rules about it, I want to learn and not, be a mis-guided member. 70 years young here and not that much into messaging or forum facts, in fact I don't do all that tweet, other stuff, I do use email, but that is about my limits.
When in doubt post a new thread in either Beginner or General Winemaking with your questions, that way we will be focused on your question. :b

I ended up following the dragon's blood recipe but the grocery only had strawberries that day and I was in a hurry so I used that, been fermenting for 6 days gravity was at 1.0020 last night when i checked so getting close. I'll post pics tonight.

Latest posts

Back