First timer with some cleaning questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewster

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all,

We are working on our first batch from a Winexpert White Zin kit. So far so good I think.

I've been trying to let my equipment air dry but some of the pieces are taking forever. I was wondering if anyone has any tips on drying things like the siphon rod, wine thief, and the hose. It's been almost a week since i racked to the secondary and the hose still has a lot of moisture in the middle that i cant seem to get out.

Thanks,

WELCOME !
smiley32.gif

1st what are you using to sanitize?. I suggest to get some potassium-metabisulfite. This will sanitize and no need to dry. Run it thru the hose and over the rest of the equipment.

Remember to follow the directions and you will get some good wine. Keep us updated on your progress.

Thanks Tepe!

The local store only had Na-meta (I've picked up some of the lingo browsing the boards looking for answers to various questions i had). But I've got a jug of it mixed up that we are using it to sanitize.

We are at day 10 now, 4 more days and I'll check the SG again. I was a bit worried about the smell but I think I wasn't sure what to expect it to smell like. It is starting to smell more like wine now though.

I use BTF Idophor for sanitizing (still no reason to rinse). So long as you don't see anything funky growing between uses you're fine. Just remember ALWAYS sanitize immediately before using anything. A little moisture left won't hurt anything.

Brewster, sounds like you are off to a good start!!! As long as you are cleaning and sanitizing everything, a little moisture won't hurt.
Keep us posted how the Zin is coming along!!

Latest posts

Back