First time winemaker.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil F

Junior
Reaction score
Hi guys, first post, first ever wine making experience . What a fine forum this is, lots of great info and ideas.
My good lady got me a kit for Christmas , I started it on Christmas day.
Did everything by the book, carefully.
What I'm experiencing on day 5 of fermentation is loads of foam above the shoulder of my DJ and I've changed the airlock 3 times because it full of the wine instead of clear water.
The bubbling in the airlock is continuous, and occasionally overflows the airlock. Room temp is about 20-22c. Is this normal?

The initial stages of fermentation should take place in a bucket, or similar wide-mouthed vessel. A demijohn will overflow with foam, as you have discovered. Generally, you can rack (transfer) it from the bucket to a carboy or demijohn when the fermentation slows down, i.e., when the specific gravity (SG) is below 1.010 or so.

The DJ came with the kit, instructions tell me to fill it to 3 litres, then top it up to the shoulder after day 3. This I did, making sure I left the area above the shoulder and neck clear. The top is at the widest point of the DJ .
Should I empty some out, or transfer it to a bucket? It's only a 5 litre DJ.

What is the SG at this point? If it is above, say, 1.045, I would move to a bucket. Otherwise, you can just leave it in the demijohn and clean up as necessary.

You can get a bucket (and lid) at a local hardware store. Just make sure it is food grade (on the bottom has that triangle with a 2 in it). You can place the lid loosely on top during the initial ferment, the CO2 protects the wine from oxygen at this point. When it slows down, registering 1.020-10, rack to glass.

Thanks for the replies folks, I don't currently have a hydrometer, so that's first on my shopping list. Second is a lidded bucket! I changed the airlock for a clean one this morning and things seem to have improved a bit. Still very frothy on top, and I'm getting a bubble every 4-5 seconds just now, but the airlock is still clean.

Day 5 - the most violent part of the fermentation is probably behind you. Most of the kits I've done 'calm' down that far out. What were you making?

I just started a traditional mead the day after christmas. My plastic bucket was full of merlot so I decided to try fermenting in a glass carboy since I'm impatient. Went to gently stir in some nutrient on day 2, and didn't even get a full stir before I had a foam fountain! Haha only lost about 1/4 cup overall, but never again will I be doing primary in glass. Went to my LHBS and got another bucket and lid for $8 (2 gallon). So yeah, primary in a carboy is not a good idea

Last edited:
If you are doing 1 gallon ferments, get a 1 1/2 to 2 gallon bucket. Initially the yeast NEEDS some O2 to reproduce, that is the reason to stir it for the first few days, with a sanitized implement. Then place the lid on top again.

Louis, it's a cabaret savignon, and you're bob on, it has calmed down a bit on day 6......
I'll probably rise tomorrow to a burgundy kitchen!

@Neil F

I have this equipment and it's good for starting out: https://morewinemaking.com/products/beginning-winemaking-equipment-kit-concentrate-kits.html
  • 7.9 gallon food grade bucket and lid with airlock hole
  • 6 gallon plastic carboy for aging
  • Airlock and stopper
  • 3/8 Siphon assembly
  • Bottle brush
  • Sample taker/thief – 3 piece
  • Triple scale hydrometer with testing jar
  • Bottle filler with removable spring
  • Double Lever corker
  • 25 Corks - 1 3/4 in. Agglomerated 1+1
  • PBW cleaner - 2oz
  • Star San sanitizer – 4 oz
I added an auto-filler for bottles for $15: https://morewinemaking.com/products/ferrari-automatic-bottle-filler.html

That gets you all the essentials for around $150. I have been using these items for 6 years with good luck. You can add things down the road, but this is the set up you'll need for 6-gallon kits.

I would suggest making more than one batch at a time so that you can increase how much wine you'll have on hand. I generally have 6-8 batches going.

Best of luck!!

Latest posts

Back